XXXIX

Who brings a taser to a gunfight?

|Y O U|

I crept along, feeling my body's muscle in full awareness. I knew exactly where I was stepping, yet my mind was fogged with thoughts about what would happen.

I was expecting some man, dressed from head to toe in leather, to jump out and strangle me or force a gun to my head.

Honestly, that was becoming the new normal for me.

Which was exactly why Sannie and Jongho were fully equipped, waiting in the security camera's blind spot and prepared to pounce on the shifty guys that were potentially working with Seonghwa.

I tried hard not to think of Seonghwa.

If this was a trap, what was I supposed to think of Hwa?

Did he betray us?

I opened the exit; feeling like I was, quite literally, entering my eternal doom. Gripping the taser in my pocket, I prayed silently that I didn't have to use it. The thirty second demonstration (courtesy of Jonho) was not adequate and worried me.

When the door slam shut, I could only feel like I was separated.

No one was here, only me and possibly some crazy gang person.

It was your typical alley; shifty, dark, and completely with the tricking of rain from the smoke. Plus, it reeked of decay.

I heard some rough shuffling in the sketchy corner, making me jump a little bit. But yet, I had to remain unsuspicious, because knowing any typical gang story, I was likely being watched.

And so, I curved around the corner as I presented to never hear the soft footsteps walking around the curb.

Just as I assumed, someone was following me.

Trying not to hitch my breath or sound remotely aware, I continued walking.

The footsteps got closer.

And the echoes of the harsh boots echoed to the point where my stalker/murderer/gangster/kidnapper/other was not trying to hide the fact that they were trailing my movements.

They knew that I knew that they were there.

"H-hello?" I mumbled.

I could not have sounded less distressed there and I wasn't sure if it was a positive or a negative thing.

I only heard the dripping of the built up fog fall and the slapping of feet.

Heavy breathing was heard. It came near me, so I gripped with knuckles turning into pearls.

"I know you are there." I said out loud, not letting my sight wonder.

I heard a small, strange sigh.