Part 7: The Plan

CAV POV

We ate at the Park Place Café at one of the outdoor tables. No one was really inside. It was a bright and cool spring day. I found myself zipping my spring jacket.

"It's cooler near the lake," she smiled, zipping hers. She sipped her drink, then sung, "Can't read my, can't read my, no he can't read my poker face." She laughed at me. "What is it, John?"

I sat back. "Have you got any other plans?"

She pulled out her cash and card. "We can go to a movie?"

"Dark, quiet." I nodded. "Okay, then?"

"After the movie? We'll bowl."

I laughed. "But--"

"And finally, after all that," she leaned forward. "We'll hit the 606, head to a park, and set off an alarm."

*********

"This has been an interesting day," I told her as we parked our bikes. "I think my legs are going to explode."

"Big difference between using your core and not, huh?" She laughed softly. "I know it's easier to use the stationary one. Your lifestyle doesn't allow for out in public biking, not to mention scrapes and bruises..." She smiled broadly, wrinkling her nose. "Then where would be?"

"That felt like a quote." I had gotten used to her poking fun at me. It was a bit relaxing. Most catered to me.

"'Ever After,'" she shrugged. "Cinderella story?" She sighed. "Don't sweat it, it's a chick flick."

"Got it," I told her. I looked around. We were walking into a park. It was somewhat lit, but not enough for me. "Why are we in a park again?" That plan didn't sound so good.

"We're going here," she whispered. She opened the door to the darkened building.

"It's closed?" I had an uneasy feeling about it all. 

"Yes," She looked around. "Move through and use the door on the right. We will go out another exit by the parking lot."

I didn't like this. She looked scared. She pulled out her wallet and took a couple of cards out, then placed it back in her leg pouch.

We walked through the building and suddenly the loudest alarm went off. We went out another door where the parking lot was. 

"What now?"

"We wait," she says slowly. "The police are coming."

My heart started to pound. "Why here? Why now?"

"Because this is my area," she said softly. "A lot of these guys know me. It'll be easier to hand you to them. I trust them."

The police pulled up. Two grim-faced cops got out of the car. 

"What's going on--"

"Lopez?!" Her eyes narrowed.

A small flashlight shone on her face. Was that really necessary? We were under lights!

"Wait, don't you work here?"

She waved the cards. He stepped forward and took them quickly. 

"Aw, man, you okay?"

"I'm okay--"She tilts her head in my direction. "He's not."

"Wow," Lopez's dark eyes widen. "Oh, shit, hey it's the guy that plays Superman! Look!"

The other officer comes closer. "Damn! How did you pull that off?!"

"He needs your help." she stayed on point, swallowing hard. "Someone tried to kidnap him. He's been with me."

They stood there. "Who?"

"He needs to get in touch with people," she said slowly. "People he knows. There is a group pretending to be his security team, they're not. Don't let anyone near him unless he gives the all clear, okay?"

Lopez shook her hand. "Let's go. Can't wait to tell my kid. Hey can I get a selfie?"

Suddenly, I felt right at home. That was something I was used to. "Yeah, sure." I got ready to go in the SUV. "I don't know how to repay you."

"You spent the day with me like regular people," she said softly. I could see her eyes glisten in the streetlights. 

Suddenly there was more to say, and I couldn't come up with a word. "I want to stay in contact--"

"Oh," she reached in her leg pouch and pulled a card out. "There-email, Instagram, everything, okay?"

All I could do was stare at her. She was a good person. And she had quick wits and courage to boot. I pulled her into my arms and held her. I felt her sag against me, and she nuzzled my chest. I kissed her forehead. "Thank you...for everything." I tipped her chin and brushed her lips with mine. It was actually a little dizzying and she felt like she swooned, but I held her still. "I mean it."

"Be safe," she smiled. "Let me know when you're safe." She put her hand on my chest, where my heart is, and she laughed. "Mustard from Chicago hot dogs we had."

"No ketchup." I chuckled.

"Don't forget it, and don't forget to try--"

"Gino's East or Giordano's--"

"When you're not filming,"  She smiled. She stepped back, wagging a finger at the policemen. "I know where you guys are! Better take care of him!"

"Don't worry!" Lopez laughed. 

As I pulled away from the park, I felt a sense of loss. It was nice to be with her, someone like that. She was terribly down to earth, sweet, tomboy streak-girl next door. Two different worlds at this point. But it was nice to be with her, even for a day. I'll never forget it.

Then I did something I thought I'd never do for anyone I didn't know. I hit "Follow" on her Instagram-for my public and private ones. She gave me a great day  and saved me in the process. Least I could do.