Part 9: Cinderella Syndrome

JANELLE POV

I got out of the cab at Navy Pier, and everyone kind of stopped and looked at me. I knew I looked out of place, but anyone who knew the Con knew I was quite normal.

It took years for Disney to come up with Tiana, and she was sorely underrepresented. I lifted my chin and moved forward like the princess I was dressed as, hoping the inserts in these lucite shoes would help me through the next few hours to keep my glass slipper look. A few people stopped me on the way in and I smiled and took photos. I slung my lucite backpack over my shoulder and moved on.

I turned on my phone. I had thousands of new followers on Instagram and no idea why. I was sure it was some fluke or heaven forbid, hacking.

Then a friend called me.

"Hello?"

"How did you do it?" I heard my friend Chandra ask.

"What?"

"Henry Cavill is following you!" Chandra squealed.

I gasped. "What?" I hadn't told anyone what happened.

"Henry Cavill started following you early this morning!" Chandra cheered. "I've been trying to call you! I hardly heard from you! Are you holding out on me?!"

"No!" I said quickly. "I-I'm sure it's a joke."

"It's his confirmed account!"

I went to Instagram. "He didn't!"

"WHAT are you not TELLING ME?" Chandra asked. "I thought we were friends!"

"Look, it's a long story--"

"Oh, I got time," Chandra said, upset. "I've got my coffee, my pastry, I've got time!" 

I stared in disbelief at my Instagram. 10K followers? 

"Word is he is trying to find you," she whined. "What's going on? He got your shoe or something?"

"I can't really talk now, I'm at the Con. Swear I'll tell you everything." Eventually. "Chandra--forgive me, I gotta go."

I clicked off. I looked at my phone as I got on the main floor with the other princesses. They seemed pleased to see me. We were a photo opp together. Funny, some girls liked me because I was the only character that had her own business. I put my Bluetooth in to listen to messages.

With growing panic, I listened to Cav's messages. I decided to stay in the public, in the middle of the lobby with the princesses and just stick to my initial plan. With gloved fingers I texted him back.

I looked up and saw Axel and Bianca. I froze.

"Hey, Princess," Bianca smiled. "A word?"

I stood there, not sure what to do. The princesses looked at me wide-eyed, but didn't know what to do either. They were more frozen than I was. 

I backed away and broke into a run. They came after me.  I ran through, trying to get to the parking complex. I could lose them there with all the different exits. I heard screams behind me, and I guessed they were making a mess as they followed. This meant I could go out the north exit and hide in the mall, or the south exit where I could go into the mall, up to the rides somewhere and shed this dress since I had shorts and a tank underneath.

My feet started hurting, especially my left. I knocked over some displays and hopped on one foot, taking it off. I picked it up and ran. I did the same thing again, but there was no time to pick up the other one because Diesel jumped over the stuff I knocked over. Tears started to flow out of fear as I padded on the carpeted floor and my heart was pumping. Suddenly as I got to the parking complex, I saw Diesel. I turned to go but was grabbed by the waist.

"Where are you going, sweetheart?" Axel drawled, looking me over. "Mmm, never had a princess before."