Safe

The warm feathers vanished as Sophie and Fitz reappeared in front of Everglen. Sophie wondered why they were here and not at her home.

"You seemed like you needed to get away from Keefe. I figured if he went looking for you he'd start at your house." He said when he saw her confused expression. "But if you want, I can take you home."

Her only response was curling up to his chest, somehow even closer.

He closed his eyes and smiled sadly, pulling her closer and carrying her into the house.

She should have been embarrassed of how often the Vackers saw her like this. A sobbing, broken down mess. But in that moment, she didn't have the strength to care.

Questions like, "are you okay?" And "how can we help?" Were asked. But the kept going forward.

Eventually they made it to the all too familiar guest bedroom. Sophie was sat down on the bed, as Fitz pulled her in for a hug.

"I'll be right back." He said, clinging to her for a second more before leaving the room.

Sophie's thoughts took over. Once they were too much, she shook her head and stood. She walked over to a mirror and stared at herself.

A few purple marks were forming around her neck and shoulders. Her eyes bubbled you with tears, and for the first time, she didn't try to keep her composure.

Her legs gave way and she landed on her knees. Violent sobs broke free and she tried to wipe away the ever coming tears. She cross her arms across her chest, burying her head.

The cries didn't stop, not for a while. Then, a hand grabbed her arm gently. She shrieked and kicked the figure in the stomach, mixing the action with all her fear and anger.

She looked up, seeing a father. "ALDEN!" She said, rushing over to him and apologizing over and over.

"Well, you sure can kick." He said, chuckling and assuring her he was okay. "What has you so startled?" His tone turned serious.

The blood drained from her face, bringing her out of her worried state and back to reality. "N-nothing! You just startled me is all!"

Her smile wasn't convincing, pain seeped through the edges. But Alden didn't bring it up. "What are you doing in here all alone?"

"Oh! I'm not sure. Fitz brought me here and told me to wait while he went and did something."

Right on cue, Fitz walked into the room, carrying a small pile of clothes. "Hi dad! I see you've found Soph."

Della and Biana rushed in behind him, carrying massive piles of clothes.

"SOPHIE!" Biana threw the pile down and jumped on her, almost knocked her over with a hug.

"Biana! Hi!" Sophie laughed, patting her head.

She always somehow knew how to make Sophie happier. They sank into the hug, and Sophie wrapped her arms around Biana tightly.

"Okay," Della said, pulling them out of their hugs. "You have a choice to make. And it's..pretty serious."

Sophie's heart sped up as a thousand possible choices raced through her mind.

"SO ARE YOU GONNA WEAR THE CLOTHES BIANA AND I BROUGHT YOU OR THE UGLY ONES FITZ BROUGHT?!" Della finally asked, her love of fashion showing, as she blinked in and out of sight rapidly.

"Uhhhh... well, what clothes did you bring?" Sophie asked. And she immediately regretted it. What had to be dozens of dresses were held up to her.

After that was over, Fitz cautiously walked over, and unfolded a shirt and what looked like sweatpants. She took Fitz clothes, not wanting to wear a dress at the moment.

She thanked Fitz for letting her borrow his clothes, and their group left her to change.

Standing in front of the mirror, Sophie pulled of her shirt. She further examined the strange purple marks around her neck. She scowled and walked over to the bathroom that was attached to the room. She soaked a towel and tried to wipe them away. She realized they weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Letting out a sigh, she turned and continued to get dressed.

Sophie never realized how much bigger Fitz was until she pulled on the clothes. The long black sleeved shirt fit her snuggly on her chest, but the sleeves and length were a problem. She made due, deciding to work on the pants. Pulling them up, she walked out of the room.

Closing the door behind her, she noticed Fitz sitting against the wall. She walked in front of him, squatting down.

He didn't notice her, his eyes were closed. She stood and cleared her throat. He looked up and opened his eyes.

His face went from normal to bright pink when he saw her. When she blushed, it only enhanced his blush.

Then they both broke into laughter, and she offered him he hand, pulling him up.

They walked down the halls, and out to the expansive grounds of Everglen. They talked for a while.

Then, all of a sudden, Biana appeared between them, causing a scream to come out of Sophie.

Vanishers.

"Do you guys wanna play base quest?!" Biana asked enthusiastically.

"Hate to break it to ya sis," Fitz said, resting his arm of Sophie's head. She scowled at him and blushed. "There's only three of us."

"Weeeeeeeelllll......"

"Well?" Sophie asked.

All of a sudden, Dex appeared out of thin air, holding Biana's hand.

"Why am I not surprised anymore?" Sophie and Fitz asked in unison.

"Well, looks like we're playing base quest!" Sophie finally said, breaking the silence.