6

Callen's pov:
The day has gone by quickly! As expected it was one well spent as well. The kids were absolutely amazing! All four have played basketball for hours. Sam has ordered some pizza because they all didn't feel like cooking so it was an easy decision to just order in. When I helped Sam putting the kids down in bed, i needed to promise little Kamran that we would be playing with her dolls tomorrow after school. The whole day has felt like finally coming home again. The later it got thought the more stressed i got again. Is Maya going to come tonight? Or is she only watching from farther away? I also want to ask her how she had meant that I nearly died in her arms a few months ago. Well, there was an incident where I once again got shot at, but I can't remember seeing her anywhere around at that time. Sam has also realized that my anxiety slowly started to rise after we put the kids down. He wanted to know why I am getting that stressed again, and as I told him I am going to lay down myself around 9pm already, he looked even more worried.
„Have a good night rest sam. And thanks again for letting me stay here." I say and hug him quickly.
„You are always more than welcome here G. That's what family is there for." he tells me honestly.
„Good night to you to G. I hope you can sleep longer than normally." he adds as i pull back. After a nod in appreciation at him, I turn around and make my way towards the room I'm staying at. Slowly I peel off my clothes and get my underpants to shower in hopes that the warm water is going to relax me a bit. It kinda did sooth my frigid nerves a bit, still I am pretty anxious if Maya is going to come or not. The window is already kinda open, so this definitely shouldn't be the problem. After another hopeful look towards the window, I decide to try and fall asleep, so if she is going to come I am awake and able to talk to her again!
Slowly I open my eyes in confusion. How comes that I haven't woken up from my usual nightmare or flashback whatever you may want to call it. Something tickling my chest irritates me even more to be honest. So with confusion written on my face, I look down on my chest. Only to replace my confusion with pure joy! There, cuddled up right into me lays Maya! Her long wavy blond hair is spread on the bed as well as on my chest, making me realize what had been tickling me. A soft smile makes it way on my face. Finally being able to breath a bit easier again, now with her in my arms, in Sam's house, I finally feel completely at home which makes me smile even wider. Softly and carful not to wake her up, I lay my right arm around her and pull her even closer, that is if that is even possible!
„Callen!" her voice is so tiny, so vulnerable it is heartbreaking!
„Shh, I am here! Just sleep for a bit longer. I got you!" I whisper back with a smile. And she just does as asked. Her small hand clutches a bit tighter around me while her feet tangle themselves up with mine in a knot. After she finished with cuddling even closer into me, her whole body went lax against me. With a happy sigh I breath in her unique smell of vanilla and drift back off to sleep with her nearly completely on top of me.
The next time I wake up to her drawing patterns on my chest.
„Good morning." i whisper quietly, not wanting to startle her nor wake up sam or the kids.
„Good morning. Sorry for falling asleep on you." she whispers back with red tinted cheeks in embarrassment.
„Don't be Sorry about it, i enjoyed it very, very much." i answer her with a chuckle.
„How was your day?" she questions me, definitely trying to get another topic going.
„As soon as I got out of work, it was really great! It's always awesome to spend some time with Sam and his kids." I tell her happy about the day and being able to hold her close again.
„Yeah? I am happy you enjoyed it! My day was alright i guess." she answers me while still drawing different shapes on my body.
„That doesn't sound like you really enjoyed it then?" I question her with furrowed brows. Her face scrunches up in a frown while turning her face to the side so I couldn't see her face any more.
„Hey, what's the matter?" I ask her afraid something may has happened to her.
„It's nothing." she sighs still averting eye contact with me. I quickly turn is around so I was now laying on top of her. And I definitely enjoy the view more then I probably should, especially at the moment!
„Why was your day not good Maya?" I ask her again, my body pressed right into her, my left hand holding her face up so she has to look at me.
„Just heard some stuff that I didn't enjoy really much." she says still trying to hide the full reason behind her uneasiness.
„Maya, it's me. You can tell me." I tell her softly.
„I heard that the comescus are setting up a trap to get you in their hands." she whispers with teary eyes.
„Hey, no crying." I softly reply just as the first tear starts to roll down her cheek. Not thinking about it, I softly kiss one after the other away. Her breath hitches, eyes wide open in surprise but I definitely see her longing in them as well. So without another word, I softly kiss her lips. My right arm has automatically tightened around her waist when she starts to kiss me back. After a long time of just kissing and touching her, I finally am able to stop myself from doing something we might regret in the morning. Her face still was extremely close to mine and her look doesn't help me to do the right thing right now.
„We shouldn't, we shouldn't rush this. I want this to work out for the long haul." i hear myself say to her out of breath. Her eyes widen at my confession before they shine in joy. A smile has lightened up her face even more which lets me peck her now kiss swollen lips one more time.
„What now?" she asks me with shy eyes that quickly look towards my chest instead of my face. Once again chuckling at her utter cuteness.
„Now I am going to hold you while we talk." I answer her with a soft smile. She looks unsure for a second but then she cuddles back up to me.
„What if i can't answer your questions?" she asks afraid of my reaction. At least I guess she is afraid of it because her whole body has tended up a bit.
„Then you don't answer a question. Even though I hope you can answer them, but I won't rush you to do so." I answer her soothingly already pulling her closer towards me. A heavy sigh leaves her lips because she told me to ask away.
Wanting to start with an easy one to answer I decide it should be safe to ask her if she got in here Alright.
„I did. It helped that you had opened the window, otherwise I might have triggered the alarm system Sam has installed all around his home." she answers me. Feeling her body shake a bit I quickly pull the blanket back over our body's.
„Thanks!" she whispers a bit embarrassed.
„I am afraid the next questions won't be easy to answer." I tell her with a heavy sigh. Not wanting to upset her but also not able to just drop all the information she has withhold from me.
„I know." she whispers a bit uneasy. So I softly pull her up a bit to be able to kiss her lips once again.
„If you don't want to answer that's alright as well." I tell her hoping she will relax again, not liking her to be so anxious. After her approving nod I think of where to start.
„How did you mean it when you said I nearly died in your arms?" I ask her and immediately feel her pull back from me. She looks at me in a state of panic which hurts to say the least! I hold my hand out to her, hoping she would take it, but she only keeps on watching my face. No idea how long she was studying me, but eventually she lays herself back down next, Well more like on me. No complaints from my side though!!
„I have been watching you from afar for quite some time." she starts quietly.
„When I saw you getting shot I couldn't just watch, so I ran up to you. Sam was calling an ambulance and Hetty while I started to treat your wounds." she says sadly, her hands have started to shake so I pulled her as close to me as I possibly could.
„When the ambulance arrived I was allowed to come along. I am a surgeon, Well was but it helped being allowed to come with you." she explains slowly. A surgeon! I never would if thought she would be a trained surgeon!!!
„After you were finally stabil, I still didn't feel like leaving your side, so I talked with the chief from the hospital and after he saw my personal file he immediately agreed to me staying on the same floor as you were." she says even more quiet than before. I kept on softly rubbing her back in hopes to keep her as relaxed as possible.
„It's nice to know that you stayed by my side. And thank you for helping me stay alive." I tell her, pretty sure she was done talking. Her relieved face makes me think I did the right thing. Even though I would love to know what stands in her personal file that the chief from a hospital would immediately allow someone new to work there.
„Can we stop with the questions for a bit?" Maya asks me unsure if I would agree to it. But since I hate seeing her in this much distress even more than not knowing what is going on, I immediately agree to her request. Which I got rewarded with a thankful smile and a soft kiss on my lips. So yes, definitely the right choice.