Chapter 19

🔹LEAH🔹

I was running late!

"Dammit"

I cursed out loud and bit my bottom lip in frustration.

I had a full day at the office and class work on top of it.

I had over slept my alarm and scrambled into the shower as fast as I could. Getting out quickly I had brushed my hair and teeth and had my makeup on in under 10 minutes flat.

I ran out to the kitchen and almost bumped into Liam who looked awkward and out of place in my living room.

"Oh hey, just dropping Rosie off. Her foods on the counter, I brought her bed, litter box and turbo scratcher."

I jogged my memory to a conversation I had with Liam a few days before where he had begged me to watch his cat while he went out of town for a few days.

"Okay! Sounds good."

I walked past and grabbed my breakfast and coffee from the fridge.

I saw him in my periffial vision as he said goodbye to rosie.

*Some men* I thought.

He didn't seem to be in any hurry but I was. I grabbed my keys to lock up.

Thankfully he got the hint.

"How did you get in anyways?"

"Oh right, Silvia let me in on her way out."

I needed to have a talk with Silvia, as neighborly as I was with Liam I wasn't comfortable with a man I didn't know that well walking around my apartment while I was in the shower butt naked.

I grabbed my phone next to the fridge where I had left it after making my coffee before my shower this morning and stuffed it in my purse.

Liam looked like he remembered something.

"Btw you got a phone call while you were in the shower."

"Okay"

I made a mental note to check later and ushered him out the door before locking up.

I took the toll road and thankfully made it to work in the nick of time. It wasn't till most of the day was over that I paused on my way to afternoon class to check my phone calls and text messages.

I noticed right away that I had missed a call from Bennet.

*What? *

My heart stopped and then sped up.

The call was from 7:32 this morning. Why would he even be calling me at that time?

I looked at the clock and saw that it was after 4pm and figured he would probably be out of work by now.

I held my breath until his voice sounded on the other line.

"Hello?"

I hope I didn't sound as breathless as I felt.

"Hey Bennet, it's Leah. I missed your call this morning."

He sounded distracted on the other line.

"Sorry about that, must of been a butt dial."

I swallowed down my disappointment.

"Oh"

"I'll catch you later, Leah."

I barely had the word "goodbye" out of by mouth before he hung up.

I felt the hot sting of tears at the back of my eyes and throat.