Chapter 17

"May balance ka pa sa last semester. Hindi namin pwedeng tanggapin ang promisory note mo." Masungit na wika ng teller sa Window 1. She eyed the paper cattily. "It doesn't even have the signature of your parents."

My palms were itchy as I hold my tongue for a retort to the old lady. Even after spending my entire summer doing different odd jobs, I still couldn't pay my tuition in full. My head is already throbbing in pain just thinking about it.

"Pero may scholarship po ako—"

"Suspended." Naningkit ang mga mata niya sa akin. "I heard of you, Martellin. You should've known better than to take... nudes."

Kumuyom ang kamao ko. Mas lalo lang akong nabadtrip nang marinig ang maarteng reklamo ng babaeng nakasunod sa akin sa linya. The impatient teller gestured for me to leave using her polished nails. It took all my willpower not to lash out at her as I tore myself from the line and walked weakly back into the crowded lobby.

My phone beeped as I made my way out of the crowd. I clumsily fished it out from my pockets only to find a text message from Rigor.

Rigor:

are u done?

Ako:

yup!

I know he's going to take some LET units this semester, so he'll be around for a while. Nakapag-enrol na rin siya kaya naman ako lang mag-isa ang nagpunta ngayon. I don't want to burden him of my financial problems, but he already knows I'm taking this semester. It may come as a shock to him if he suddenly learns that I'm going to stop this semester.

A tiny, mocking voice sounded inside my head. What was I thinking? I still have a lot of personal problems and here I am, engaging in another relationship again? Is this even worth the risk?

Nag-angat ako ng tingin. I saw Rigor walking across the field. He's just wearing his usual white buttondown shirt and pants. Itinali niya ang may kahabaang buhok ngayon. Lumitaw ang tinta sa leeg niya. My heart clenched.

Of course, it's worth it.

Hindi ko na ibinanggit sa kaniya ang problema ko sa teller kanina. Babalik nalang ako dito bukas kapag nakausap ko ang ina. If I have to scrape for crumbs of her sympathy so I could finish college, then I would. I barely survived with pride as my meal on my table. I'm sure I can endure a few harsh words from her.

Days later, nabalitaan kong nakabalik na si Sorcha sa La Union. She wanted to meet with us, and I was relieved to see her old self again. When asked about Collin, she just shrugged and said they have split during the summer.

My mother indeed insulted me to the very core and she was very angry when I showed up at her house unannounced.

"You're a fucking disappointment, Czarina Saorsie!"

Tiniis ko ang masasakit na salitang ibinato niya sa akin. The next morning, she wired some money to my bank account.

I was able to take the semester, thanks to my generous mother. Pati ang balance ko ay nabayaran na rin. I have no right to fail. I want to graduate as soon as possible so I could find a job and finance myself. Then, I wouldn't need to lean on my mother anymore.

When the new semester started, almost everyone was talking about the new student. She's a freshman in Political Science and from what I've heard, the twin sister of Shantel Roman. It's hard not to notice her when she looks so regal even when lining up for food in the cafeteria, though you can see that she's scared of the attention she's been getting.

Lumabas ako saglit sa Practical Art class namin at nagtungo sa ladies' room. I stayed up all night for an assignment and now I'm very sleepy. I wanted to walk for a bit, in the middle of the class, to keep my brain cells working.