Different

"And then they fall in love." Betthany finishes her dramatic story about this new movie she saw with cameron. I honestly wasn't listening to her, I would just nod my head, or gasp at the appropriate times, usually she would pause. That was always my cue. I had been avoiding leaving the apartment. Betthany teased me and said that I was afraid to face world, it wasn't quite the world. It was the people it contained. But like always Betthany was poorly oblivious to the happenings around her. I knew I needed to follow Neil's instructions or he'd no doubt kill us, but how was I supposed to know he wouldn't when I did my job.

"Betthany, this is random but do you ever think about Hayley?" I watched her go stiff and sit up straight. She nods.

"I do often, I have this inner battle between hate and sorrow, she didn't deserve to die like that, but I hate her for leaving me with that information." Betthany speaks her mind softly.

"And im never telling anyone else, I'm not putting that Kind of pressure on someone, no way. So don't ever ask me." She says firmly before getting up. Drunk or high she holds that information securely, and she probably will take it to the grave. She holds the key to Neil's power, and he absolutely despises that.

It's stupid really, a five digit code to everything a power hungry, cynical man could want. Of course it all belonged to Hayley. It was rumored to be filled with money, hoards of it, and government hacks, all sorts of things that could be all bad if they landed in the wrong hands.

As I watch little Betthany make her way around the house, her plain eyes and dark hair, sun tanned skin, she was remarkably thin but has well defined muscles. Looking at her, you'd never think she would hold information like that. I see through her, and I can see her broken self, and I wonder how she manages.

"Grace stop looking at me." She says annoyed, I cross my arms.

"I can look at you when ever I want, so shut up." She rolls her eyes.

"Well how about you don't okay, it makes me uncomfortable." I huff. God sometimes she can be a major pain, and it happens within the blink of an eye she just snaps, and I guess that's just her, her hold slipping. She copes by walking away. I noticed that when we were younger. She'd be annoyed by something I did, I told her my opinion, she'd get pissed and I wouldn't hear from her for a whole day.

Betthany's pov

I lean against my car, waiting for cameron. I toss the keys back and forth between my hands, staring at them, trying to make a metaphorical comparison between me and the keys but failing. Two large tan hands cup mine together.

"Hey." Cameron's deep voice greats my ears. I smile and look up at him, his presence instantly calming me. I used to get pissed, I still do, when people tried to talk to me when I was angry, I took gratitude in solitude, but with cameron it's different. He slides the keys out of my hands and walks to the drivers side.

"Uhm what nonsense are you thinking?" He smiles and opens the door.

"Your hands were on fire, you're angry and I don't trust your angry driving." I gasp but his face stays the same, there's no point in arguing. So I reluctantly slide into the passengers seat.

"Are my hands really hot?" I asks looking at them as if the temperature is written down. Cameron shrugs.

"Yeah but so is the rest of you so." I can't help but laugh at him.

"You sly dog." Cameron sends me a wink before we pull out onto the main road.

Cameron took me to get frozen yogurt, said it would cool me down. We'd had a debate over frozen yogurt versus ice cream. I wasn't fond of frozen yogurt, ice cream was always my first choice. Cameron surrendered and admitted that ice cream was the better of the two. I watched him as he took our trash. He was very handsome indeed, no wonder he had millions of girls after him. But here he was eating frozen yogurt with me.

"Cameron why do you hang out with me?" He looked at me for a moment then laughed.

"Why are you feeling insecure?" I scoff.

"No, I just want to know, I mean you're you! You could hang out with anyone." Cameron sighs and grabs my hand, pulling me out of the park chair.

"Sometimes I can't trust just anyone. I don't know who I'm hanging out with, they could be using me and I mean I try so hard not to think of a person like that but people can be terrible. I'm scared of being used." I place my hand on his cheek and smile.

"I'm not like anyone of those people." He smiles

"Why do you like hanging out with me?" He asks using my question. I smile.

"Because you just, you're like an escape. When I hang out with you its just you all my focus is consumed by you. It sounds bad but it's the best. Tell me something is that why you don't have girlfriends every so often." He stays silent and taps his chin. I wait patiently.

"No, I don't believe in dating until I'm serious about the girl. I don't believe in wasting my time either. Besides look at you, famous youtuber, you gotta have boy after you, you and that long hair of yours." I chuckle.

"You know jack, gilinsky." He nods. "We had something, for a long long time, but it never progressed, it just didn't feel right. He wanted to date but I didn't. I mean there was no reason for us not to. Then you and nash moved in, and then we played soccer and ever since then, it's just changed." I look up to see Cameron's face to try and read what he's thinking, how he's feeling.

"I'm different?" Is all he asks and I nod looking back to the ground. He stops walking and I stop too. He lifts my chin and stares into my eyes.

"I can promise you Betthany, you are much different than any other girl I've ever known." And then he kisses me.