Chapter eight: "i dont dislike you"

When he woke the pain in his face had worsened, he groaned and turned to notice that the door to the cell had already opened but no one had woken him up. Dragging himself from the bed he walked and peered out, prisoners were wandering around as normal which meant that he had just been left alone so he could sleep.

His thigh ached but the pain was more bearable than it had been last night, he walked down to the cafeteria but there was only a few people left inside. He managed to grab a late breakfast before walking back to the cell and lying down on his bed.

He was too sore you use the gym and thought it was a good idea not to go out into the courtyard just yet. He knew that Karofsky and the guys that had attacked him were still locked up somewhere but he didn't know if there were more people that would try and get revenge for him.

He didn't have to lay in the cell on his own for long because Blaine suddenly popped in.

"How are you doing?" Blaine asked leaning against the cell door frame with his arms crossed.

"I'm fine, just a little sore and thought it would be better to stay in here for the time being," he replied and Blaine nodded walking into the cell and sitting on his bed.

"Want some company?" Blaine asked and he gave a smile before nodding.

"Sure," he said pushing himself into the sitting position. "If you don't mind," he added just in case Blaine was doing it just because he thought he had to.

"I don't mind," Blaine said though he wasn't really looking at him. "Do you want to talk about what happened?" Blaine asked him. The question caught him off guard but he found himself shrugging.

"Do you want to know about it?" He asked. He didn't want to bore Blaine with the story.

Surprisingly Blaine nodded his head sternly. "Yes," Blaine said finally looking at him in the eyes. Maybe to show he was serious?

"Ok, long story short I was in the courtyard and Karofsky came up with a couple of his mates wanting a fight. He said I was disgusting and that I needed to be 'straightened out' before coming at me with his fist, but I don't think he expected me to fight back," he laughed at the end before looking to Blaine who was wearing a frown.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," Blaine said and he frowned. Why would he say that? That was the last thing he thought was going to come out of his mouth.

"Blaine it's not like you could have done anything and I can handle myself. Don't feel guilty because, like you said we're not friends, or anything really so you don't have to protect me. I wouldn't want you to protect me even if we were friends," he said and Blaine leaned back sighing and rubbing his face with his hands.

"Kurt, I don't like labelling things and I don't dislike you but I've had bad experiences with having friends, and I refuse to let myself go through that again. If that means not having friends for the rest of my life then so be it," Blaine said and his mouth fell open with shock.

"Blaine, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences but don't you think saying no to anyone trying to talk to you might make you miss someone special?" He asked and Blaine who was still lying on his back on the end of his bed shrugged.

"Maybe, but sometimes I don't feel like it's worth it," Blaine paused looking to the floor like he had gotten stage fright. "I don't know why I'm telling you this," Blaine said suddenly sitting up and climbing out from the bed.

"Where are you going?" He asked feeling guilty for asking so many deep questions. He just wanted Blaine to feel like he could talk to him, to let him know that he would listen.

"I'll be back," Blaine said waking towards the door but he climbed out from the bed and went after him.

"Wait Blaine," he yelled and Blaine stopped turning to him.

"I'm fine Kurt, go back to bed".

And with that Blaine walked off leaving him standing in the hall. Annoyed at himself he took a guilty breath before making his way back to his bunk.

...…

All of the questions were spinning in his head. Was Kurt right? Was he missing out? He didn't think he was but with someone like Kurt telling him so, he felt like second guessing himself.

He followed the stairs down to the first floor before making his way to the gym, he couldn't go and do what he normally did because he'd been doing it too often ever since Kurt got here. And he defiantly didn't want to get caught.

Kurt made him nervous for some reason. It worried him that he was beginning to like the boy.

He walked straight into the gym, ignoring the funny looks he got from the other men and walked straight up to the boxing bag throwing on a pair of boxing gloves that sat on the rack behind it.

He didn't even wait a second before he started punching hard and fast. When he felt like this it was easier to take his feeling out this way. Every hit was at someone from his past who'd hurt him and everyone in the future who would eventually hurt him.

Because of his talk with Kurt it mean he only got about ten minutes before he had to shower and head back to the cell.

As he entered the cell he noticed that Kurt had fallen back to sleep, he knew that it wasn't a good idea to sleep now so he walked to his bedside and fell to his knees. For a minutes he didn't even notice that he was watching him sleep and then it hit him and he blushed hanging his head embarrassed even though he knew no one knew but him.

He reached out and slowly shook Kurt's arm until he started to stir.

"Yes?" Kurt groaned opening his eyes staring at him waiting for an answer.

"You won't sleep tonight if you sleep now," he said standing realising how ridiculous it sounded when he said it aloud.

"My dad used to do that," Kurt said laughing and pushing himself so he was sitting up.

"Really? He ok, or...?" He said and Kurt shook his head.

"He's fine as far as I know," Kurt replied and he nodded turning away. He didn't really talk about parents. As far as he was concerned he didn't have any. Kurt must have sensed it because he didn't ask him about his.

He stared at the wall bad memories flashing through his mind until he felt a hand on his shoulder making him flinch and turn around fast.

"I'm sorry," Kurt said holding his hands up. "I was just making sure you were ok, but I assume you were in deep thought," Kurt said and he nodded rubbing at his temple.

"Yeah, thanks for stopping me," he said with a small smile before he walked to the back wall and sat down against it. Kurt followed and sat next to him but he didn't say anything, that was one of the things he liked about Kurt he always knew when it was the right time to talk and the right time just to be there but not to say anything at all