Lost and found

'Why did he bring you here?' The girl asks me with sadness in her eyes. 'I heard too much' I whisper. I look to my bounded hands. 'Of what?'

'That he has sworn an alliance with Sauron' I spit out, now I say it. The truth is clear. My father is a traitor. I look to the girl, who smiles sadly at me. 'Look at you, you are so grown up!'

What?

'Do I know you?' I stutter. Her blue eyes fill with tears as she nods a yes. 'I am your mother Alastegiel'

It sounds more than a whisper. 'Naneth? But you, he said that you died. You died while giving birth to me!'

'Saruman said that?' I nod. 'Listen to me, Henig. And listen carefully. He is not a father who loves his child. For I am betrayed by him, held against my will for hundreds of years'

'No' I start to sob. 'No..' Naneth tries to stand, moving over to me. But her strength is failing her. 'Alastegiel. Listen to me, please'

'I am Finduilas, princess of the Noldor, daughter of Orodreth and sister of Gil-Galad'

That is not possible. She died. It is writing in the history books, a familiar story. She fell in love with another instead of the man she was supposed to marry and later killed by orcs.

'But how, how did you end up in Ada's dungeons?'

'He saved me from the orcs and took me in. Several years later he tried to marry me. But I said no. I did love Túrin, but he died. I was devastated. So I said yes. With my kingdom gone and my brother and lover dead. I thought I had no choice' She says with a trembling voice. I look at her, her long golden hair is dirty. She is thin and looks so fragile. 'And what happened then?'

'I gave birth to you.. my light in the darkness. My bringer of joy' She smiles at me. 'But Saruman wanted a son. So when you were old enough to eat and drink on your own, he threw me into the dungeons'

'And for all this time... you..' I try to form a sentence. For two hundred years, she lived in this dungeon. 'Naneth' It goes so easily, the word mother rolls of my lips. 'It is alright Alastegiel. Now I have seen your face, I know that I can surrender to the light. When I die, I can see my family again' She whispers as she rests her head against the stone wall. 'Mother!' I cry out. She smiles at me. 'Listen, can you hear the flapping of wings. Strong wings. They are here for Mithrandir'

'Who? And how do you know?'

'For someone who lived this long as me and a daughter of a king' Her eyes twinkle. 'Some of our kin have powers. You are half-elven, half Maiar, you have powers to. That you have which to discover. Gwaihir, the windlord is coming for Mithrandir and for you. Be ready' She explains and suddenly everything goes fast. She frees herself from her rope and crawls over to me. Naneth loses the rope so I can free myself. When I am free, I throw my arms around her waist. A bit shook she embraces me. 'I wish we had more time Henig. But we see each other again when you sail West' She pushes me back and looks me in the eyes. Now I see we look alike. Mother and daughter. The same golden hair, the same blue eyes.

'You are going to be fine' She mumbles as she kisses my head. 'Be ready' She says quietly as she flicks her wrist and the door opens. 'Naneth?' She smiles mysteriously. 'I said that some of our kin has powers. Myself included Iell' (daughter)

She smiles sadly. 'Go now, you know your way to the tower. Go!' She shouts the last part as I order my feet to move, to run. Before I know it, tears stream down my cheeks. My mother! She is alive! All this time, she was kept hostage down here. She was so close...

I run stairs after stairs, without seeing anyone. Heavily breathing I arrive outside, on the top of Orthanc. Ada stands before Mithrandir, who moves closer to the edge. He smiles as he sees me and gestures with his head that I have to stay still. I nod and do what he says. 'One ill turn deserves another. It is over. Embrace the power of the Ring or embrace your own destruction!' Ada shouts at Mithrandir and raises Mithrandir from the ground. He crashes against the floor. 'There is only one Lord of the Ring. The only one who can bend it to his will and he does not share power!' Mithrandir yells and lurches to his feet and throws himself of the tower! 'Alastegiel jump!' He screams and now my father sees me. In shock, we lock eyes with each other as I jump of Orthanc. I land on the back of Gwaihir and fold my arms around Mithrandir's waist as we fly away from Isengard.

Away from home.

'Are you alright dear?' Mithrandir asks with concern in his voice. I notice that I am slightly shaken but other than that, I do not have any wounds.

Mother did.

'Yes. I am alright. But where are we going?'

'Imladris' Mithrandir sighs. 'That is where Ada wanted me to go. So that I was saved'

'From him' Mithrandir adds. 'I suppose you met your mother?'

'Yes, I thought..'

'So did I child, so did I' Mithrandir pats on my hand in comfort. 'Gwaihir flies fast. We shall arrive soon and then you can rest'

'Thank you, for saving me' I say thankfully. 'It was your mother's idea. She couldn't bear the idea, you locked up... No, she has different plans with you'

She saved me.. all those years in prison and still, she didn't forget about me.

'She said she was a princess' Mithrandir chuckles. 'Yes, she is, a kingdom long forgotten. Her brother was a famous warrior prince. And you know the lady Galadriel?'

'Yes, she often visited Ada. But I never met her'

'She is your mothers' niece. So you are also family of the Lady of Light' Mithrandir explains. 'Lord Elrond can tell you more about your heritage. But first, you need rest' He states. Gwaihir is going lower and I can see the valley and the city of Imladris. 'It is beautiful' I say breathlessly. Gwaihir lands steadily on the damp grass.

'Now we are saved'