The necklace

'It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, they are often mistaken for dwarf men' Gimli huffs as he sits on his horse, telling stories about his people. Most of the things I knew already from my research. But he is a proud dwarf and he makes me laugh!
I ride next to him as Èowyn holds his reins and Aragorn and Théoden ride behind us as does Legolas. I see in the corner of my eyes that Èowyn is glancing from time till time back at Aragorn. And it makes me furious. But now he sees and gestures a beard. 'It's the beards' He says so that Gimli doesn't hear it. 'And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women. And the dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!' He is too busy to tell his stories to hear any of it. But still. Èowyn laughs and Gimli does the same. 'Which is of course ridiculous. Whoa!' He calls out as he falls from his horse. This time I am the one who laughs a little. Èowyn rushes to his side. 'It's all right! It's all right. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate!'
'I have not seen my niece smile in a long time' I hear king Théoden say to Aragorn. 'She was a girl when they brought her father back dead. Cut down by Orcs. She watched her mother succumb to grief. And she was left alone to tend her king in growing fear. Doomed to wait upon an old man who should have loved her as a father' I glance back at the maiden. That is quiet sad, but still I can't help to feel jealous.

After a long while we make a encampment. I sit down with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are sitting nearby. It is funny that they are good friends, because our different kin hate each other in a matter of speaking. Èowyn carries a pot stew with what I think is selfmade stew. She is handing out portions to her people. 'Gimli?' She asks the dwarf as she walks up to them. 'No, I couldn't. I really couldn't' She nods politely and moves towards Aragorn and me. 'I made some stew. It isn't much, but it's hot' She gives him and me a bowl and a spoon. I nod thankfully. 'Thank you' Aragorn says. He looks at me and then at the bowl. He tastes and looks at her, trying very hard not to grimace. He nods in approvement. 'Mmm. It's good'
'Really?' Èowyn asks happily. 'Mmm' Aragorn mutters as she begins to walk away. He locks eyes with me. 'Do not eat it' he mounts as he turns to pour out the stew. But Èowyn turns around and I chuckle softly. Aragorn recovers, spilling some on his hand. 'My Uncle told me a strange thing. He said that you rode to war with Thengel, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken' She states.
'King Théoden has a good memory. He was only a small child at the time' Aragorn answers her as he looks away from her. 'Then you must be at least sixty. Seventy? But you cannot be eighty!'
'Eighty-seven' Aragorn states with a sigh. 'You are one of the Dúnedain. A descendant of Númenor, blessed with long life. It was said that your race had passed into legend!'
'There are few of us left. The Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago'
'I'm sorry. Please eat!' She says gestures to his bowl and mine. I smile. 'Thank you Èowyn'
When she is gone, both of us pour the stew out of our bowl.

Later on night falls, Aragorn is smoking his pipe. I touch my necklace in the light of the moon and I know what I must do. 'Aragorn' His eyes meet mine. 'This necklace it is a heirloom and so it is important for me. But what if I loose it in battle. Who shall remember me then and my kin? It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart' His eyes grow wide at my words and he closes the space between us by putting an arm around me. 'What did you say?' He mutters in awe. He leans in and kisses me. 'What if I fail? What if I let you perish because I couldn't stop him. What if Saruman gets you?'
'Ú i vethed. Nâ i onnad' (This is not the end. It is the beginning)
'You are a great leader and you are going to be a greater king. Han bâd lîn' (That is your path.)
'Dolen i vâd o nin' (My path is hidden from me.)
'Si peliannen i vâd na dail lîn. Si boe ú-dhannathach' (It is already laid before your feet, you cannot falter now.)
'Alastegiel' He sighs heavily. I lift the necklace from my head and lay it in his hand. I close his fingers around it. 'Ae ú-esteliach nad... estelio han. Estelio ammen' (If you trust nothing else, trust this. Trust us) I lean in and kiss him fiercely.

The next morning we are trekking again. I sit on my horse talking with Legolas as I hear Èowyn talk with Aragorn. 'Where is she? The woman who gave you that jewel?' I smile a little, it was obvious I was wearing it. Aragorn remains silent. 'My lord?' I hear Èowyn ask. 'She rides next to Legolas' Is his answer and I can just hear the laughter in his voice but also pride.
Suddenly at the front of the row, shouting can be heard. 'I am going!' Legolas calls out, more to Aragorn. He rides to the front and I see that he jumps of his horse and runs up a nearby hill. I shake my head as the caravan of people stops. I know the people can't see Legolas clearly but I with my elf sight can. Suddenly he takes out an arrow and shoots something that is coming towards him. 'A scout!' He yells out. 'What is it? What do you see?' King Thèoden calls out. 'Wargs! We are under attack!' Aragorn screams and the people around us are starting to panic. 'All riders to the head of the column!' Aragorn and I do what he says as Gimli gets help to get on his horse. 'C'mon get me up here, I'm a fighter. Argh!' I chuckle at his words as I charge into battle. Quickly I look at Legolas who is standing still alone on the hill. He is shooting at the wargs and their riders. When Gimli's horse is near, Legolas swings himself up on the horse's back. I race towards the Wargs with my sword drawn. We crash in full speed and I fight for my dear life. Sometimes a spark of magic comes out of me, but i can't control it properly. Luckily it kills only Wargs and their riders. So it goes on for a while but we win and after the fighting dissipates, Legolas, Gimli and I look for Aragorn. 'Aragorn!' I call out.
'Aragorn?' Legolas yells slightly. 'Lad?' Gimli also yells. Gimli spots a dying orc on the ground, laughing. We run towards the creature and Gimli bends down and points his axe at it. 'Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing!' The dwarf hisses. 'He's' The Orc coughs. 'dead. He took a little tumble off the cliff' Legolas grabs the Orc. 'You lie!' He hisses. The orc laughs, blood bubbling in his mouth. He falls back dead.
No..
I walk towards the cliff as Legolas stands up. I look down into the river below.
It can't be.
'Alastegiel' Legolas voice is nothing more than a whisper. I turn towards him and scream in agony as I see my necklace in his hand. 'Keep it! It belonged to him' I say as I can't keep the tears from falling. Théoden approaches us with a grim face. 'Get the wounded on horses. The wolves of Isengard will return' He looks at me. 'Leave the dead' He says as he turns around. 'Come'