The Palantír

When we arrive at Edoras, a feast is being held. In the Golden Hall, villagers and soldiers stand, cup in their hand. Drinking their sorrow and sadness away.
I am dressed in a new sandy color dress, the same color as the plains in autumn. I also wear a purple scarf around my shoulders for warmth. I still wear my belt with my sword, just in case.
But I am still thinking about what Ada said. I have the power to fight in wars. Maybe even to end them.

'Alastegiel' Legolas approaches, two cups in his hand. He gives me one. 'Here' I smile at him when I take the cup. And in the corner of my eye, I see that Éowyn gives Théoden also a cup. The king raises it. 'Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!' He states. The people around me raise their cup as well. 'Hail!'
'Hail' I mutter and drink from my cup. The sour taste of the wine bubbles on my tongue when I swallow it. 'Have you talked to Aragorn?' Legolas says quietly and looks me in the eyes. I shake my head. 'No, you mean about what my father said?' He nods. 'Your power Alastegiel. I can feel it. And when your father said it, Théoden looked at you. And I still do not like the way he looked at you'
Did he really?
'Legolas!' Éomer yells happily. And gestures the elf prince to come to him. 'Be on your guard Mellon' Legolas says and makes his way over to Éomer. He and Gimli are going to participate in what looks like a drinking game. I have never seen one, but I read about it in my books. I want to walk over to them but Aragorn stands alone against the wall. My heart flutters.
It is always him.
Before I can approach him, Éowyn cuts me off. 'Westu, Aragorn, hál' (Be-thou Aragorn well.) Aragorn takes a goblet from Éowyn, who watches him, smiling. Aragorn returns the cup and walks away.
What what's that?
Anger bubbles inside of me and I storm after him, leaving Éowyn behind.
I can hear Merry and Pippin sing as I follow Aragorn through the crowd of people.
'Oh, you can search far and wide
You can drink the whole town dry
But you'll never find a beer so brown
As the one we drink in our home town'

I spot Aragorn in a far of corner of the Hall with Mithrandir. 'No news of Frodo?' I hear him whisper.
'No word. Nothing' Mithrandir answers somberly.
'We have time. Every day Frodo moves closer to Mordor'
'Do we know that?' Mithrandir sounds so fragile and almost scared. But I know he cares for Frodo, we all do.
'What does your heart tell you?' Aragorn asks him quietly. 'That Frodo is alive. Yes. Yes, he is alive' Mithrandir smiles and his eyes meet mine. 'Your beloved is here' he says to Aragorn and I feel my body grow warm at his words. Mithrandir leaves us and I walk over to Aragorn. 'What haunts you Mellamin?' He asks quietly and strokes my cheek lovingly. I embrace him, folding my arms around his strong waist. 'My Ada..'
'What he told you'
'Yes'
'Alastegiel' he sighs and pulls back from our embrace, looking in my eyes. 'You have powers yes. But you learn to control them. And I know you are thinking that you have to do it quick because you can help us. And it is true. But I do not want you, to pressure yourself'
'But I' His lips find mine, silencing me. 'Have hope'
'You are my hope' I mutter as he leads me to our rooms.

[]

I feel Aragorn leave the bed and he kisses my forehead. I smile. He covers my shoulders with a blanket.
What we did; it is not a custom for me, for him to do this before the wedding. But he told me, that when this is al over, we are going to be wed.
And I know we do, because I love him more than life itself.
Luckily we were done before the others came, dressed in nothing more than my tunic and panties and Aragorn only in his trousers. Gimli said something but was silenced by Legolas. I know they know but still.
We made love.

I open my eyes, seeing that Legolas is also gone. The prince is probably outside, looking towards the sky. He feels the evil grow. And he does not sleep much at all. I am only part elven so and I really like sleeping.
'What are you doing? Pippin! Pippin?' Merry whispers loudly. I look at the two beds and see one empty. Merry sits up in bed. Pippin is approaching a sleeping Mithrandir.
Mithrandir is asleep, although his eyes are open. 'Pip! What are you doing!' I hiss and jump out of bed. Pippin takes the Palantír from Mithrandir, replacing the space in Mithrandir's hands with a chamberpot. 'Pippin! Are you mad?' Merry says angrily. 'I just want to look at it! Just one more time!' Pippin says, holding the Palantír. 'Put it back!' Merry and I say as one. But Pippin unwraps the stone.
'Pippin. No! Pippin!' Merry jumps also out of bed.
Pippin becomes affixed to the now glowing stone.
No!
'Mithrandir!' I yell as I make my way over to Pippin.
'Pippin! Help! Gandalf Help him! Someone help him!' Merry yells. I hear someone enter but I kneel down next to Pippin and take the Palantír from his hands.
The eye appears before me, I feel the warmth, the pain. I hear a scream.
'Alastegiel' he roars. The eye is before me, the flames growing bigger with every word he speaks. 'Child of the Maiar and the First Children. You have a choice' Sauron roars.
I have a choice? What is he talking about.
'If you come to me. I let the ones you love live. If you do not come. I will end them'

I know he is right. I know he has that power, but what can I do?

'I shall come'

'Alastegiel!' His voice brings me back to the light, to the room. But I have a purpose now. I can save them all. 'Fool of a Took!' I hear Mithrandir yell to Pippin. The boy looks terrified. Poor Pip. 'Look at me' Mithrandir orders him. 'Gandalf! Forgive me!' Pip yells frightened and looks away. 'Look at me. What did you see?' The white wizard orders again. 'A tree... there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone, it was dead. The city was burning'
He is talking about Minas Tirith. I read about it in my books. A white tree that blooms as its king returns.

'Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?'
'I saw... I saw Him! I could hear His voice in my head!'
'And what did you tell Him? Speak!' Mithrandir orders Pip. 'He asked me my name. I didn't answer. He hurt me!' Pippin looks so frightened.
'What did you tell Him about Frodo and the Ring?'
'Nothing' Tears fall from Pippins eyes. 'I said nothing' Mithrandir lays him down again and Merry is in an instant at his side. Mithrandir walks over to me and Aragorn his grip around me tightens. 'And what did he tell you?'
Truth or lie?
'He said my name'
'And?' I shake my head. 'Nothing more'

{}

The others are in the Golden Hall, talking with king Théoden. I am still in bed, waiting for the perfect moment. I feel him, still. He is calling me. I have to go, to save them. I push the blanket from my cold body and start to dress myself; a red tunic, black corset, black pants and black leather boots. I also wear my cloak and pull the hood over my hair. No one can see me, the cannot know.
I slip out of the room, through the corridors. I have to find the stables. Suddenly I hear footsteps coming in my direction and I hide behind a pillar. It is Mithrandir, followed by Merry and Pippin. He is walking fast and the hobbits have to run to keep up with him. He looks like he is up to something. Swiftly I follow them outside.

He is also going into the stables.

'Of all the inquisitive hobbits, Peregrin Took, you are the worst! Hurry! Hurry!' Mithrandir calls out to Pippin. 'Where are we going?' He asks, clearly not paying attention of what Mithrandir said. 'Why did you look? Why do you always have to look!' Merry scolds him.
Are they talking about the Palantír?
'I don't know. I can't help it!' Pippin says trying to defend himself. 'You never can' Merry says with a lot of anger and sadness in his voice.
'I'm sorry, all right! I won't do it again'
'Don't you understand? The enemy thinks you have the Ring! He's going to be looking for you, Pip. They have to get you out of here'

They are leaving?

'And y-you're coming with me?' Pippin stutters, terrified. But Merry walks away and it breaks my heart to see this. 'Merry?' Pippin calls out to him. Merry turns around, still walking towards the stables. 'Come on!' He yells. I follow them swiftly and hiding behind everything I can find so they do not see me. I walk around the stable and find a way in. I squat down and listen to Mithrandir while he lifts Pippin on the back of his horse. 'How far is Minas Tirith?' I hear Pippin ask.  'Three day's ride, as the Nazgûl flies. And we better hope we don't have one of those on our tail' Is Mithrandir answer. Merry hands Pippin a leather pouch. 'Here, something for the road'
'Last of the Longbottom Leaf?'
'I know you've run out. You smoke too much, Pip'
'But we'll see each other soon, won't we?' I can see that Merry glances at Mithrandir and he shrugs. 'I don't know. I don't know what's going to happen' Merry says and he starts to cry.
Oh, my sweet, brave hobbits.
'Merry!' Pippin yells at Mithrandir takes the reins. 'Run, Shadowfax. Show us the meaning of haste' His horse gallops out of the stables and Merry runs after them.
This is my chance.
I choose one of the many horses, who are standing in the stable. A brown horse, I saddle him and mount him quickly. I do not know his name. But I thank him, for making this journey with me.
I thunder out of the stables and my hood goes down, my hair is free. It flows behind me. And when I gallop through the gate of Edoras, I spot him.
Aragorn and Merry, standing on the watchtower. They we're laughing, but as soon Aragorn spots me. His face falls. I smile at him and he touches his necklace.

Please understand Aragorn, I do this for you. For our friends.
For Middle Earth.