Chapter 24

"Lies!" I yell and stand up from my chair.

   "Uh?" Jack and Shania seem confused.

   "That's not the truth."

   "I'm not ly-"

   "I know. Abby's so-called parents are."

   "What do you mean?" Shania asks.

   I sigh and sit on the chair. My childhood memories start to flood my mind.

   "Natasha Rose Garfield was a beautiful young child born to Hansel and Hazel Garfield-"

   "Z-zack had a brother?" Shania shutters.

   "Yes. My mum was a maid in their house. I was 5 years when Natasha was born. It had only been two months that my mum started working there. The day I saw her I fell in love with her. Every day after school I would go to the Garfield's and play with her. Zack used to visit once in a while and too what I remember he loved his younger brother or at least that's what I thought."

   I think of the most horrible day and shut my eyes. I feel someone squeeze my shoulder. I open my eyes and see Jack sitting next to me.

   "I still remember that day. I was running down the road when suddenly someone grabbed my mouth and carried me. I panicked but then the sweet smell of my mother calmed me. I was confused about why she held my mouth. Signalled me to keep quiet and dragged me with her. I noticed how worried she look. I started crying and looking at the Garfield's that was down the road as we ran the opposite direction. When we went home, I remember my mum crying and I had no clue why. Then she told me that I must not utter Natasha's name again. For nights I cried wondering why my mum wouldn't let me see her. We even left this place and went back to the next town."

   Shania gives me a glass of water and I sip it.

   "When I was 14, we moved back here and mum finally told me about that day. she was folding the clothes in the room when suddenly Hazel came in and told her to leave. She yelled at my mum and told her to leave when my mum refused to leave. My mum had already sensed something was wrong. My mum nodded and left the house through the back entrance. My mum hid in the park opposite the waited there patiently.  She told me how she saw Zack take Natasha away. After he left she went into the house and found Hazel hanging and Hansel wounded on the floor. He caught my mother's hand and asked her to take care of Natasha before he left his last breath."

   Jack gave me a man hug as I shamelessly cried.

   "That day she made me promise her that I'll keep an eye on her and get her back from Zack someday. Ever since then I have always been watching Natasha but then she got homeschooled and then I got married and my mum told me to look after Holly and let go of the promise but obviously, life had a different plan. I was working as a spy for the FBI. I met you at work remember?" I look at Shania and she nods.

   "Holly and I got assigned to dig up the dirt on Zach and thanks to Nelson the whole secret got blew off," I explain everything that happened to them.

   "This is horrible. I can't imagine what you've been through. We really wanna help you, Harold. Please trust us. I've been trying to find and do something for Natasha for a while. This could mean a lot," Jack says.

   "I know how we can help you," Shania says gaining the attention of Jack and mine. "The three of you can stay here. You already planned on kidnapping me so now it's best to go with that. My dad has no clue about this farmhouse. This was a secret place Jack bought for us to come to when things got overwhelming. You can threaten my dad about me and I could pretend to be hurt. Personally, I feel we needa step up the game than just kidnap."