Chapter 32

2nd April

Harold's POV:

   I walk into the bar and look around for Neil. Lewis has been trying to follow Neil and talk to him but he keeps disappearing. So I decided I'll come and search for him myself. I walk up to the bar counter and sit down there. I order for a glass of beer and look around as I wait for it. When I look back at my drink I find a letter envelope underneath it. I look at the bartender who is busy serving someone else. Who put it here? I look at the person beside me and he's busy talking on the phone. I frown and look at it. I gently open it and take the letter out.

I'm sorry but I can't help you any more. Zack has inserted a chip inside everyone's neck so he can hear what each one of us is talking. I can't give you any more information because Zack has already started to suspect me. How is Abigail? When am I going to get her?

   I look around and in a corner I see him watching him. I ask the bartender for a pen and write-behind the paper.

Everything will be over soon. All I want you to do is tell the truth in court and Abby will come running to you.

   I reread what I wrote. Do I really want her to leave?

   You like her Harold, don't do this.

   I shake my head and look at him. I nod and leave the letter under my glass before walking away. I get into my car and drive as fast as I can. Once I get on the highway  I stop and slam my hands on the steering wheel in anger. I'm angry because my plans got messed up, I'm angry because I have to let Natasha go soon, most importantly I'm angry because I'm such an idiot who lies and hurts people. I start to think about how she'll react when I tell her about Neil and that she has to go with him.

   She'll be happy I try to tell myself but of course my conscious yells she likes you you idiot in Lewis's voice. I start to think of the argument Two days ago Lewis and I had.

   "I think it's better Neil isn't showing up," Lewis says as he removes his jacket.

   "What do you mean? We need him, Lou. Without him, we can't get our revenge on Zack."

   "I mean if Neil isn't gonna help we get to keep Abby."

   "Are you crazy? We promised him he can have her once this is over."

   "But he's not helping."

   "He will. Tomorrow I will go myself and find him."

   "Then what?" He snaps.

   "What do you mean?"

   "You get your revenge. Zack goes to jail. Then what? You'll be a single dad and Esme goes to Neil."

   "Yes."

   "Have you thought about them? Natasha and Esme? Have you seen how much Esme adores Natasha."

   "Natasha has her mum and Neil. She doesn't need us. But I'm sure Neil will be okay with us visiting her once in a while."

   "Have you told Natasha about this? That she will go with Neil after this?"

   "No. I'm pretty sure she will choose to go with him anyway after all this."

   He sarcastically laughs.

   "Are you that blind?  That girl believes you blindly and you are practically all she has now that she knows that everything in her life is a lie except for you. Don't lie to her Harold."