Chapter 28

My hands start to sweat as I look around. I see that man come into the aisle I'm in. I turn my back to him and start walking. I quickly get into the next aisle where I see a man wearing a Fedora. I quickly take out his fedora and push a little money into his hand before he screams. Like I hoped he nods and I wear the hat. I walk to the counter and give the lady all the books and the remaining cash. I take a glimpse of that man who is standing right beside me now. I keep my head low and wait for her to give me the book. My heart thumps in my chest as she bills it and puts the books in a bag. Without getting the change, I just take the bag and start walking out. I hear that man and lady call out for me. I start running in fear. I look around but don't find Harry or his car anywhere. I start running down the highway. It's empty and literally, no one is out here. I don't know if I imagine it or what but I hear sirens in a distant. This makes me run even faster. Suddenly out of nowhere, Harry's car stops in front of me as the door flies open. I jump inside and thrown the bag behind as he reverses the car. I close the door and look behind to find police cars chasing us. Harry curses as he pulls the accelerator and drives faster. I hear gunshots.

   "Oh my! They are shooting at us!" I panic.

   The noise of glass shattering startles me up. I turn around and see the back glass in pieces on the back seat. I hear Harry curse.

   "Oh my goodness. What do we do now?" I ask in a panic.

   "Can you drive?" He asks.

   "Of course I can. Very well," I huff

   "Grab the wheel."

   "What?" I gasp

   "Take the steering wheel. Cmon. Fast," he snaps.

   I nod and place my hand on the steering wheel. He climbs behind and I climb into the driver's seat.

   "Harry be careful!" I yell as more gunshots go off.

   "Dive in a zig-zag," Harry tells me. I nod and do as he says.

   I gasp hearing gunshots near me. I look through the review mirror and see Harry shooting at them. He has a gun!!

   He curses when they don't slow down. He climbs back to the front and sits beside me.

   "We needa exchange seats again," he says and holds the steering wheel.

   "What?"

   "Cmon!" This man is nuts!

   I let go of the wheel and go back to my seat with great struggle. As soon as I sit down, Harry takes a deep turn which causes my body to slam against the door.

   "Shoot," he says and hands me the gun.

   "Just think of it as a game." Is he crazy?

   As I hold the gun and look around. I gasp seeing the number of trees and darkness that surrounds us. We are in the forest.

   Compose yourself, you can do this.

   I start shooting but of course, I miss. I try about four shots until the gun is out of bullets. I hear Harry curse again. I turn around and see that we are running short of road.

   "Harry !!! Clif!!" I scream.

   "Grab my bag!"

   I nod and grab his bag and the bag from the store.

   "Put the gun in," he says.

   I put the gun and books inside and zip the bag.

   "Now get on my lap," he says.

   "What?" I gasp.