Getting the call

"I'm sorry Kate but we just don't need you, we've got plenty of excellent players and, quite frankly, I just don't think you are good enough to play for country. I hope you soccer carer continues but I won't be calling you up to the national team" I listen to Jill Ellis say over the phone.

My heart shatters into a million and one-pieces after hearing her say that, I've trained so hard to be the best player I can, and now I'm not good enough? I play with most the girls on a daily basis and I know I can keep up with them.

"Okay, nice speaking with you Jill, goodbye," I say and hang up on the coach not wanting to talk to her anymore than needed

I close my eyes and try to hold in the tears that are forming, refusing to spill any over this news.

I might only be 18 but I know I'm good. It's not me trying to sound cocky or full of myself but when you score a hat trick on your NWSL debut at the age of 16, I'm pretty sure you're not just another average player.

Knowing if I sit in my room any longer I'm going to overthink it all so I head downstairs and prepare to face the million and one questions the other girls are going to throw at me.

You see I'm sharing a house with Alex, Ash and Ali while I play with the Pride, Krashlyn are saving up to buy their dream home so the four of us decided to all room together for a season or two to help save money.

It helps Alex is basically my adopted mom anyways so I get to live with her and my two crazy aunts as I like to call them both. Now I've got to break the news I won't be going with them to the next camp or any camps in the foreseeable future for that matter.

"There she is, so what did Jill have to say!" Ash grins at me excitedly waiting for me to tell her some good news.

"that she's got plenty of excellent players and quite frankly she doesn't think I'm good enough to play for the country," I tell the three veteran players as they all gape at me in shock.

"y-youre lying" Alex stutters to me.

I shake my head no, not being able to speak because I know the waterworks are about to turn on soon. Unfortunately, I can't hold it in any longer and my bottom lip begins to wobble a bit making Alex rush over to me.

"Sweetie, I'm so so sorry," She says pulling me into her chest as I cling onto her shirt.

"let it all out Kate, we're here for you" I hear Ali whisper joining in on the hug.

That's all it takes for me to break down and let everything out, all my sadness and anger over what Jill told me just comes bubbling to the surface.

After what feels like hours I finally calm down enough to pull away from the three adults and have a proper look at them all. It turns out they've all been crying too and have red puffy eyes that look like mine probably.

"I'm going to call Jill up and have a word with her, it's not on what she said to you," Alex tells me a little angry but I know it's only over the situation.

"don't Alex, she made it clear I'm not wanted" I reply to her not wanting to hear Jill's voice again

"no Kate, the way she spoke to you is completely out of order!" Alex protests

"Mom!" I shout stopping her rant

"Just let it be, please," I ask her using the 'mom' word to get her to listen to me, she knows I'll use it when I'm serious about something

"come on kiddo, let's all go cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie," Ash says sending me a sympathetic smile

I just nod my head liking the sound of that idea. I grab the fluffy covers off the back of the sofa and wait for Alex to sit down so I can curl up next to her.