Chapter 5 - Suspended

7 weeks earlier
Magnus

"Peyt, do you have a minute?"

Waiting for permission to enter her office, Magnus stood in the doorway. One hand still resting where he had knocked before speaking. Without looking up, she continued to write on her computer.

"Don't call me that."

"Sorry. Captain Montgomery. Can I talk to you?"

With a sigh, Peyton turned her attention to him, pushing her reading glasses up into her hair in the process.

"Come on in. Close the door."

Magnus did as commanded, walked in and sat down in the chair on the opposite side of her desk.

"What do you want, Bane?"

"I want to tell you about a potential threat on The President. And the country."

"You what?"

Peyton leaned in closer, curious to this information.

"Yeah. A witness has informed me that he heard this guy, uhm..." Magnus searched through his notes before continuing.

"Malcolm Hayes... Say that he wanted Anarchy. He wanted to kill The President and bomb our country back to the middle-ages."

"And exactly which witness told you this?"

Peyton leaned back in her chair with her arms crossed. The curiosity was gone.

"Umm... The guy we brought in earlier..."

"Please don't say that looser from the pawnshop?"

"Well, yeah. But I really think that we've got something."

"Damn it, Magnus!"

Peyton tossed the glasses across the table.

"Jesus Christ, how can you be that dumb? I TOLD you not to interrogate him. Why do you keep ignoring my orders?"

"Because you keep giving me shitty cases!"

Agitated Magnus stood up rapidly, causing the chair to slide back hard, crashing to the floor.

"Magnus, you are so out of line right now! I'm your superior and you cannot speak to me like that!"

"The hell I can! You keep screwing me over, just because I didn't wanna screw you anymore!"

"Magnus Bane! Not another word, or you will be suspended! Get out! AND LEAVE THAT IMAGENARY CASE ALONE!"

Magnus tore the door open and stormed out to the sound of Peyton's yelling.

"DO YOU HEAR ME BANE? LEAVE IT ALONE!"

Peyton slammed the door close when Magnus just kept walking without acknowledging her orders. Every single person outside the officers didn't move a muscle. It wasn't the first time those two got into a fight, and everyone knew to stay out of the line of fire until they calmed down. When Magnus was out of sight, and Peyton dropped down in her chair again, people dared to continue with their work.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"THAT FUCKING STUCK UP BITCH!"

Magnus slammed the door shut when he reached the observation room, Cameron was waiting in.

"I take it, that didn't go well..."

"She dismissed the case! Just like that! She didn't even listen to me!"

Magnus paced back and forth. Steam almost coming out of his ears.

"Calm down, Magnus. It sucks, but at least you didn't get suspended."

Stopping abruptly, Magnus shot Cameron a devious glare.

"You are right. I didn't. I still have something to say around here. I can go over her head!"

"Dude, I don't think that is..."

Before Cameron had a chance to finish what he was saying, Magnus had left the room.

"Never mind, then..."

Cameron mumbled and walked out of the room.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Hours later, Magnus sad at his desk going through old files. Cameron sat down at the edge of his table.

"So, how did it go?"

"Fine."

Magnus continued with his work.

"Come on man, give me some more..."

Looking up at him, Magnus smiled.

"I contacted the FBI with my intel, and they came in. Flashing their badges at Peyton, demanding to talk to our guy. You should have seen her face. She was pissed!"

"Fuck man, how did I miss that?!"

"By going out to eat, or some shit like that."

"Screw you."

Cam looked at Magnus, that couldn't hide his smile.

"Fine! You are right, but damn it, that place down the street has the best burgers in town, Magnus!"

"Yeah yeah."

Laughing, Magnus continued to browse through the old files.

"So, what are you looking for?"

Cameron dropped down next to Magnus.

"That name... Hayes... I've seen it before. I just can't remember where."

"Hayes... It doesn't ring a bell with me."

"Wait, I think I've got something."

Before Magnus could say what, he had found, captain Montgomery slammed her fists at the table right in front of them, making both guys jump in their seats.

"Do you think that was funny, Magnus? Huh? Fucking with the FBI? Making me look ridicules? Like I can't control my own goddamn cops!"

"Whoa... Relax, you didn't leave me no choice. You wouldn't listen."

"With good reason! The guy was stoned out of his mind!"

"What? No! He was fine when we talked to him."

"MAGNUS!"

Cameron nearly jumped of the chair from the force of her scream.

"Give me your badge and gun, Magnus. You are suspended until further notice."

With only a slight hesitation, Magnus stood up, pulled out his badge and gun and slammed it onto the table right next to captain Montgomery's open palm.

"Screw you, Peyton!"

Magnus marched out, with Cameron right at his heels. He reached him as soon as they were outside.

"Sorry dude. I'll try and talk to her when she calms down."

"Don't bother, Cami. You know how she gets. Besides, I know where to go next."

"What do you mean?"

"Remember the guy we arrested at the bank robbery two years ago? He was in a relationship with a Morgan Hayes. Malcolm Hayes' sister. I'm going to go see him. Alec Lightwood."