Chapter 21 - The shot

4th of july
Magnus

The metal felt cold against his skin. He had always expected his death would be something like this. Gunshot to the head. Quick and painless. What else could you ask for? The thing that bothered him the most was his brother was watching. He didn't want him to carry this around with him.

"Magnus! Magnus! Don't! NO!"

He could hear Christian calling out for him, but he couldn't remove his eyes from Alec. If Alec was going to do this, then he would have to look him in the eyes.

"Magnus! No!" Christian locked his eyes on Alec. "Don't hurt my brother! Please!"

His brother's screams got muffled. No doubt they had taped his mouth together. Magnus did his best to hold back his tears. Tears for his brother. He needed to stay calm and strong. That was all he had left. He would never beg for his life. Never! No, he would rather go out with a smile and a provocative remark.

"Well Alexander, it was fun as long as It lasted."

Magnus smiled mischievously at Alec, ignoring the sounds of his brother and partner crying. It broke his heart, but at least they had each other. If they were ever to survive this.

A glimpse of doubt flickered through Alec's eyes. Doubt, and something more. Was it really...? Magnus didn't dare interpret. He had probably seen something that wasn't there. Afterall why would it? Alec had tried to play him all along. Why would he now show any sign of affection... or love. No, he had most definitely read it wrong.

"Come on Baby! Shoot him already! SHOT HIM!"

The yelling that came from Morgan nearly faded in the background. Magnus didn't listen to anything but Alec's heartbeat.

Their eyes locked firmly onto each other. He wanted to remember those eyes... take it with him...

Determination filled Alec's eyes.

Involuntarily Magnus shot his eyes at the sound out the gun being cocked.

The shot echoed through the room, followed by a female screaming. Magnus drew in a deep breath.

I can breathe... I wasn't shot...?

Carefully Magnus opened his eyes, just to see Malcolm on the floor. Mouth open, cold eyes and blood oozing from the wound in his chest. Morgan was kneeling beside him. screaming and crying. Alec still held the gun in his hand. All light had left his eyes. He seemed to be in a state of shock.

"What the fuck did you do?!"

Morgan screamed at him and slammed her fists into his chest. The tall man barely moved from the impact.

"What did you do!? What did you do?"

The screaming turned into crying and Alec wrapped his arms around her.

"At least it's over now..."

Alec's words were only a whisper. But something was wrong. Magnus glanced around the room. None of the guards had moved. Wouldn't they move if their boss had been shot?

Suddenly Morgan stopped Crying and wiped her tears away. She took the gun form Alec's hands and stepped out of his embrace.

"Did you like my performance? I think I was pretty convincing, don't you guys?"

She looked at the guards that nodded sternly.

"You see, baby, this was a test. I needed to know if you were with me or not. And clearly you are not."

"but..."

Alec stared at her. Clearly not being able to comprehend what was happening.

"Did you honestly think this was my brothers plan? Please... He wasn't smart enough. Thank you for eliminating him by the way. You saved me the trouble..."

She gestured towards two of the guards that grabbed Malcolm's body, dragged him to the balcony and threw him over the side.

"and now I need to deal with you."

With one swift motion, she smacked Alec in the head with the gun, knocking him out so the guards could tie him down.

Magnus tried to wrestle out of his robes, but didn't succeed. Alec had saved him. And he couldn't return the favor. With a heavy heart Magnus looked at the unconscious Alec. Maybe he had interpreted it right. Maybe it had been love, he had seen. Magnus definitely knew that he himself felt something for the guy. He had just not allowed himself to explore it. But it had been clear from the day he had retrieved him from jail.

Groaning Alec woke up and Magnus could feel a single tear streaming down his face. At least he wasn't dead... not yet.

Morgan kneeled down in front of Alec. Grabbing his arm to pull him up on his knees. Placing him next to Magnus.

"And now you get to die a traitor. Right next to the man you love higher than me!"