bruises and eyeliner Part 21

-Selena's P.O.V-

"Are you ready to go?" Justin asked me softly, walking towards the door with his school bag on his shoulder.

I stayed silent.

Of course I wasn't ready to go. Not when I know that the psycho that beat the hell out of me for months would be there prancing around like his shit didn't stink.
Yes. I went to the cops and told them everything. Of course they did arrest Travis for it, they kept him in the station for over twenty four hours, questioning him on the charges that I pressed against him but until they get a court date, they had to let him go.
So once again, Travis is free to roam the streets without a care in the world. Silently taunting me just by walking around the town.
Now, after everything he has done to me, people still expect me to stay in the same god damn building as him for seven hours or more. I mean, that's just unfair and unreal.

"Selena?" Justin asked again, turning to face me.

"I can't do it." I stated, shaking my head.

Justin sighed quietly and leaned against my front door.

"You can't let him control your life." Justin mumbled, knowing that all of this was because of Travis, "He's been stopping you from living your life for the past couple of months. Fair enough, he was your boyfriend and you were scared of him, nobody expected anything and you were scared of what would happen if you ended it.. But Shea, you're done with him now, he doesn't have any control over you anymore. He can't hurt you, you know that."

"As long as he's still walking those streets out there he still has control over me." I spat, "Do realized how scared I am, Justin? Do you not get that Travis has the power to hurt me over and over again just as long as he's walking those streets. Hell, it hurts me just knowing that he's not behind bars!"

"He can't hurt you anymore Selena!" Justin shot back, "I'll be by your side for the entire day! I switched to all of your classes just to make sure you're ok. I swear to god Selena if Travis does so much as look at you funny, I will kick his ass and you know I will."

I stayed quiet knowing he was right.
I was taking my anger out on him because I was angry at the law for letting a psycho like Travis go. Let him continue to walk around as a free man. It's not fair. I also know that Justin would always be there to protect me, no matter what the circumstances are. He doesn't care. I know he loves me and he'll do whatever he can to keep me safe but I also know what Trace is capable of. I know what he can do to me if he got his hands on me.

Justin sighed and walked over to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest, holding me there, resting his chin on the top of my head. Rubbing my back soothingly.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

I shook my head, "You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm the one that should be sorry.. I trust you Justin, I know that you'll protect me."

"Look, if you don't want to go to school then.. We wont go, ok?" Justin mumbled.

I sighed and shook my head again, "No.. I have to get this over and done with."

Justin pulled back and looked me in the eyes, "Are you sure?"

I smiled slightly and kissed him gently, "Mhm, come on."

* * * * *

Justin grabbed my hand as we walked in through the doors of the school. Instantly, everyone's eyes snapped to us. People whispered quickly between themselves, glancing back and forth between us and their friends.

"Well, well, well, look who finally decided to show up."

I tensed and gripped Justin's hand tighter.

"Just keep walking." Justin mumbled to me, pulling me down the hallway, pushing kids out of his way.

"You know, it's not nice to walk away from people when they're talking to you."

Justin growled and turned around, loosening his grip on my hand. I sucked in a breath and turned around, trying to keep my heart rate steady as I watched Travis make his way towards us. His signature smirk on his lips. His eyes were on me as he stopped a few feet away.

"How you feel baby?" He asked in a amused tone, "I missed you while you were gone."

He reached his hand out to brush a stand of hair away from my face but Justin grabbed it roughly. Keeping his eyes on Travis.

"Don't touch her Travis." He said in a calm voice, but I could see the anger that was lingering in his eyes, his glare getting more intense as each second past.

Travis held his hands up innocently, "Calm yourself Justin, she used to love it when I did that to her.. When I touched her-"

Justin stopped him from talking by slamming his fist right into Travis's jaw, sending him to the ground groaning in pain. Justin let go of my hand and bent down, next to Travis.

"Now, listen carefully Travis." Justin spat, "If you come withing spitting distance of MY girl again, if you do so much as look at her funny, if you try talk to her, even if you talk about her to your so called friend, I will literally kill you. Do you understand? Don't think that I'm messing around, cause you and I both know that you deserve everything that you'll get."

Justin stood up straight and turned to me giving me one of his breath taking smiles and kissed my cheek, moving his lips to my ear, "Let's go baby."

I shivered as his breath danced across my skin but I couldn't help but smile at him, ignoring the stares we got from everyone in the hallway. I nodded and he took my hand and started walking again, through the crowd of people the surrounded us without a care in the world.