39. jisung

"jisung! i'm asking you a question!"

i can't answer.

"look at me! why aren't you looking at me?"

my head feels too heavy to lift.

but then the heart rate monitor starts beeping alarmingly fast.

"minho! please i...."

i finally raise my eyes to look at him and the sight makes me want to gouge out my eyes.

he's looking at me like i'm a stranger, like i'm an enemy.

"how long until i recover fully?" he demanded, voice shaky.

".... there's close to half of a chance you... won't be able to dance for the rest of your life...." i inch forward and hold his hands.

the fragile boy in front of me needs reassurance and comfort more than anything right now and i want nothing more than to be there for him.

"go away. go away! get out of the room. i don't want you anywhere near me.... LEAVE."

minho yells, eyes red and swollen from crying.

"what are you still doing here? i said LEAVE NOW!!" he jabs in the direction of the door and wrenches his hands from under mine.

the air is tense and silent. i think the both of us can hear my heart splinter into a thousand pieces.

"okay... okay. i'll go, don't be so agitated, i'll go. i... nevermind. take care of yourself. i'm only a call away if you need me."

minho averts his eyes to the window as i shuffle out of the room, his face a stone mask.

after i shut the door i lean against it, covering my eyes with my elbow.

the chanting inside my brain repeats over and over again, louder and louder each time.

he hates me now.