19 ✯ strangeness

❝There is no beauty without some strangeness❞ -Edgar Allan Poe

I was back on my feet in an instant, after catching that horrible cold. Being sick just isn't my thing.

Usually Ava's the one who gets all sickly and feels like Johnny's cat food. I wonder how cat food even feels like. Can you feel as cat food? It might've just been my senses tingling.

But things were... different.

The boys were actually paying attention to me. It sounds depressing, in all honesty, but it was strange behavior from them. Usually they're colder towards me. And when I mean cold, I mean ignoring me 90% of the time.

"Hey Princess." Leif chirped, smirking as he walked by.

"Why are you even calling me that?" I asked, feeling my cheeks becoming slightly hot. I'm affirmative a flush was spreading across my face.

"That's just because I can." He said, sticking his tongue out at me before walking through the magical doorway and into the daemos' place. I groaned. That guy's a real pain.

Then I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Prisoner."

I mentally facepalmed. I just went from royalty to peasantry, what a rollercoaster. Asch was standing there, arms folded across his chest and scowl significant on his face.

"Prisoner, get me food." He demanded.

Little brat.

"Why me? Get it yourself." I scoffed.

"I'll let you eat it with me." He said, motioning his hand towards the kitchen.

"Is that your way of wanting to spend time with me? By demanding me to get you food and saying you'll share some with me?" I asked in disbelief.

"No! It's just that you're the one you'll be privileged by being able to share a meal with someone as prestigious as me. I'll have you know I'm a prince of Daemos, you should be glad you haven't been incinerated by being in my presence!" He retorted, his face red, the tips of his ears pink, standing out from the shining golden earring he was wearing.

What a dumbass. Well, he's a daemos after all. Ugh... why are cute guys such jerks? I got him some spaghetti before leaving him to eat it alone on the kitchen table. Serves him right.

I decided to go back to my room. You know, get some rest, get energized and maybe publish a Wattpad chapter on my book or two. I ran into yet again, another daemos.

Rhys was next to my bookshelf, looking at my massive amount of Geronimo Stilton books. I'd saved up quite the collection when I was a kid, and obsessed over them a lot. Now, I'm kind of meh about them but I still brought them to the apartment when I moved out of my parents place in case I wanted some good old nostalgia.

"Is this Geronimo male a man of metamorphosis? He's got the face of a rat!" Rhys gushed.

"And he can speak the human language with the head of a mouse on, and possesses human traits, wears human clothes and runs within a society of humanoid mice! There must be some form of special humanoid mice race on Earth. He must be an exceptionally powerful leader to have an biography written about him." Rhys said in awe, his head buried into one of the books, flipping the pages with a small grin on his face.

"Uh... no." I said sheepishly, not wanting to burst his bubble of excitement.

"What do you mean no?" Rhys asked.

"Geronimo Stilton is just a work of fiction. It's just something an anonymous writer made up and wrote tons of books about, and has been a really popular series of human English literature for human children to read for entertainment." I explained.

Rhys gave me a face, like he was a kid that I just told Santa wasn't real.

"You... you mean Rat Man isn't a real being?" Rhys asked, his face as blank as a sheet of paper.

Oh no. I think I've broken him.

"NOo no no there's a lot more books about rat people... rat men? Uhh... there's The Maze Runner! But that's only one little reference... umm..." I rambled on endlessly about the multiple rat references in popular book series before ushering a probably emotionally unstable Rhys out of my room to take a much needed break.

When I thought it would be over, another jerk decided to float on in and take up my precious Netflix time. Well, not really jerky. Just... Cutesy.

"Y/Nie!" Noi cheered as he saw me in my room contemplating the meaning of life.

"What are you doing?" He asked, clearly confused.

"I'm dying." I stated, before turning away from him.

"WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE DYING? NOT AGAIN I DON'T WANT YOU TO GET SICK AGAIN AND ALMOST DIE AGAIN I CAN'T HAVE YOU DIE RIGHT NOW Y/N!" Noi screamed.

"Ouch. My eardrums. But I'm sorry Noi, I was kidding about the whole 'I'm dying' thing." I explained.

"You better be kidding!" Noi sighed, exasperated. Still, he clearly looked shaken up.

"I'm fine. No need to worry your adorable little head about me." I assured him, smiling.

Noi blushed bright red before running out of the room screaming, "Y/N's gonna burn me alive! Helppppp!"

I chuckled to myself. He's an idiot. But he's still cute, and at least he cares more than the other assholes.

"Y/N, do you need anything?" Pierce asked, standing by the doorframe.

"No, why?" I asked, curious.

It isn't everyday that I get so many encounters with all the daemos. Must just be because they're scared I'll die naturally and they won't get to kill me themselves. Yeah, sounds like them.

"I was just... worried about you." Pierce said, his voice calming and reassuring.

I smiled at him.

"I don't need anything. But thanks Pierce, you're sweet." I said, giving him a thumbs up.

He nodded and raised an eyebrow, trying to imitate my thumbs up, before walking away, attempting to mimic different strange and unique hand symbols as he left the room. Something's up. Something is definitely up. And I intend to find out what.

-
EEEE I can't thank y'all enough for getting this book to 11K UwUz love you guys!!! Me happy lolz sorry for the late updates
-
edit: 05.13.2021
word count: 1054 words