Chapter 3

Rogue's pov

I held onto the bag which held the food I'd bought, walking back to the hotel. Frosch didn't want any of the food provided at the hotel so I just bought some fish and chips from one of the local takeaways. While walking, I spotted that girl from Fairy tail. Starlight I believe her name was. She was walking towards the area where I'd ran into her the first time. I raised an eyebrow. Surely if Gajeel was so mad about her going off all the time then he wouldn't have let her leave. I looked around for anyone else but I didn't see anyone from Fairy tail. I debated in my head whether I should just leave her alone. Deciding against it, I followed her. I made it seem like I was just wandering down this way. Didn't take that much effort, she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings at all except what was in front of her. She turned into an alley and I abruptly stopped. That wasn't right. She didn't need to go down an alley to get back to her hotel. I walked up to the edge of the wall, focusing my ears on the alley alone.
"Redfox. Nice of you to join me" someone purred. I quickly looked into the alley, a guy who could probably be about Gajeel's height but his muscles were in the middle of Gajeel and Orga. Starlight said nothing.
"You took your precious time" he added with a laugh.
"My brother wouldn't let me out of his sight" she mumbled, grasping onto her hoodie with shaking hands. He cracked a smile before looking her over.
"Well then. Give me the jewel and we'll be done here" he explained.
"I-I don't have any jewel but I can give you some next time. I can give you double next time. I promise" she explained. His face went into a frown and he grabbed onto her hoodie, slamming her into the wall.
"This is the 5th time Redfox. I don't appreciate when my time is wasted" he growled. I bit my lip. Did I want to get involved? Things might be made worse if I did.
"Please. I'll pay you next time. I promise. I can get the jewel" Starlight begged, looking at him with panic.
"I'm done with these games Redfox. This is the 5th time you haven't had the jewel to pay me. I'm sick of letting you off the hook" he growled. I looked back around and almost let a noise slip from my mouth. This guy had reached into his back pocket and was pulling out a small knife.
"Please. I need it" She begged.
"You know what happens to people who don't pay up" he hissed. He swing the knife forward and pushed it deep into Starlight's stomach. She coughed up a thick splash of blood, entire body trembling.
"I'm gonna make sure you feel plenty of pain for wasting my time. Then I'll dispose of you. See how long it takes for them to find your body" he sneered. I decided to intervene.
"Hey" I called. The guy turned to me.
"Oh shit. It's a Sabertooth mage" he hissed under his breath but I caught it. He quickly composed himself.
"Back off. This bitch wasted my time and she's paying for it" he added. He clearly wasn't going to let up even at the sight of a well known mage. I looked at Starlight who looked halfway between passing out and being aware of what was going on. She wouldn't be awake much longer if the blood flow wasn't stopped.
"What if I pay for her" I offered. He pulled the knife away, looking me over with a sneer.
"You would pay?" he asked in a humoured tone. I looked at Starlight who's breathing was slightly laboured.
"Yeah. How much?" I asked, reaching into my back pocket where my wallet was.
"30,000 jewel" he responded with a smirk. He probably thought I wouldn't pay. I pulled out my wallet and checked what was inside. I still had plenty of jewel left since that recent job Sting and I took. I counted out 30,000 and handed it to him. He counted through it, looking at the notes in case they were fakes. When he was sure that they were all real and it was the right amount, he pulled a plastic bag out and tossed it over at Starlight. He then turned around and began to walk away.
"Don't think you'll be as lucky next time. I'll be expecting the jewel" he hissed before walking off. I turned to Starlight who was on the floor, heavily breathing and one hand clutched onto her stomach. I kneeled next to her and rolled up the bottom of her hoodie and shirt. Despite how thin the knife was, it was pretty long so the cut was very deep and bleeding heavily. I don't think it was helped with how slim Starlight seemed to be. I sighed but removed my Cape, using it to try and stop the bleeding by tying it around the wound as tight as I could without hurting her. Once I knew it was secure, I took one of her arms and slung it over my shoulders. I couldn't take her back to the Fairy tail in. They would freak out and besides, it was much further away than the Sabertooth Inn. I kept a strong hold of Starlight while also still carrying dinner and began making my way back to the Inn.