Chapter 8

Rogue's pov

It wasn't hard to get back into the hotel without being seen. I simply melded with the shadows. Starlight was a little disorientated from the sudden change in location again. I looked at the clock on the wall. 2:47. I mentally slapped myself. There was no way that I would make it in time for the end of the games. Especially not when I still have to shower. Showing up with messy hair and smelling like booze and dust wouldn't be very good on the guild's reputation. Starlight was sat on the bed, staring down at the floor while clutching onto the sheets with shaking hands. I walk over and sit on the bed next to her.
"You alright?" I ask. She opens her mouth only to close it again. I lift up my hand to check her temperature. She was slightly warm, not extreme but it was possible that she might have caught something through the night.
"You should get some rest. You might have caught something during the night" I advise her. I didn't want her getting horribly sick.
"Strikite...... I need the Strikite" she mumbles, one hand shakily scratching at the side of her neck. I furrowed my brows. What is Strikite? Her other hand was rummaging around in the pocket of her hoodie. Then it hit me. She must be talking about that drug. I place my hand against her forehead again. While I do so I can feel the shaking and see how unfocused her eyes are. I pull my hand back. Her temperature hadn't changed. I needed to find a way to keep her cool encase her temperature does go up. If it goes up to fast then she could end up having some issues.
"Can you lay down for me?" I ask. She doesn't respond, merely looks around the room with unfocused eyes. I sigh. If she won't do it then I'll just have to help. I link one arm under her legs and keep the other hand on her back so that I can keep her steady. I take a few steps up to the headboard of the bed and lay her down, pulling the covers up before debating if that would be a good idea. I leave it for now. If the fever gets worse then I'll do something. Right now I need to get a cold cloth to try and keep it low for now. I went to the bathroom, soaking a cloth with cold water. I brought it back over to Starlight. I brushed her hair away before gently putting the cloth on her forehead. She let out a small whimper, clutching onto the sheets. A knock on the door alerted me. I walked over and opened the door slightly. Sting was outside. I stepped out, making sure to close the door behind me.
"What's going on?" I ask.
"Where were you? You've been gone all day. Its a good thing you weren't called on to fight. Jiemma would have flipped" Sting explained.
"I was.... out" I cough.
"Out? You smell like liquor and....." Sting trailed off when his nose scrunched up.
"Did you sleep with someone?" he asks, covering his nose like the smell was sour. Shit. I didn't get a chance to shower. All those scents are all over me.
"N-No" I lied, praying that Sting would take my lie. He snorted.
"Nice try. I can smell it all over you. Plus your scent is all muddled up with another one. The only way that would have happened is if you had been all over each other" he stated, calling my lie. I sigh.
"Can we talk in your room?" I ask. He bites his lip but walks over to his room. I follow. He closes the door before raising an eyebrow.
"Alright so, I was out because Starlight wanted to go out and I couldn't just let her go alone, especially if she was planning on drinking. One thing led to another and I ended up having a few too many to drink. My memory is fuzzy but we had collapsed in an alley and it just escalated. I didn't mean to do this" I explain.
"I guess its fine if it was a one night thing and you didn't bite her" he muttered. I bit my lip, turning my eyes over to a lamp that was suddenly very interesting.
"You didn't bite her right?" he asked. I gripped onto the sleeve of my baggy shirt.
"What the hell!" he yelled.
"It was an accident. I didn't intend to bite her. I didn't intend for any of this to happen" I say.
"You've messed up. You've messed up big time" he reminds.
"I know" I grumble, running my hands through my hair and getting dust on my fingers.
"How does she feel about it?" he asks.
"Starlight doesn't really know about dragon customs" I state, pulling on my fingers.
"You told her right?" he asks.
"I told her that it would keep other dragons and dragon slayers away" I state with a sheepish smile. Sting stares at me with a shocked look for a few seconds.
"That's all you said?"
"I didn't want to force anything on her. I thought if I told her about everything else that she would feel obliged to be with me despite not feeling the same" I justified.
"You screwed up for the both of you. What happens when she starts going out with someone else? When your heat comes? Did you think about that?" he asks.
"I can figure it out. I can just avoid her during heat. It can't be hard. I've done it for yeas. What's the difference now?" I nervously laugh.
"Didn't Skiadrum tell you that when a dragon or dragon slayer marks their mate, heat becomes incredibly hard to deal with than before. You will not last through those 1 to 2 weeks" he reminds me. I sigh.
"I know. I don't know what to do. I don't want to force this on her. Especially not right now" I mumble.
"What's going on right now?" Sting asks, looking curious. I slap myself in the face. I should have kept my mouth shut there. Sting raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to tell him.
"Drug withdrawal" I mumble.
"Oh. So it wasn't just alcohol that's been doing her in. Yeesh" he states, running one hand through his hair.
"She's racking up a fever and I'm worried that it might get worse. She's really out of it right now. That's why I didn't want us talking in my room. I'm not sure if multiple presences, especially ones she doesn't know will make her uneasy" I explain.
"Well then go back and check on her. I'll take care of Frosch if it helps you concentrate on one thing" he offers.
"Thanks" I mumble, opening the door.
"Just be careful" he tells me with a hushed voice. I just nod slightly before closing the door.