Chapter 18

Starlight's pov

I tugged on the waist of the dress I wore, not sure how to feel about the dress. I'd never been into fancy clothes through my entire life and my opinion hadn't changed. But Sting and Rogue had been so kind to get this dress for me and I couldn't not wear it to the party. I sighed, pulling up the black gloves until they met the lace sleeves at my elbows. I sighed, looking in the mirror. Rogue had done my hair prior to me getting changed. It looked a lot nicer than before, having been trimmed slightly and washed. I turned away from the mirror and walked out into Rogue's room where Sting and Rogue were stood, talking with each other. They both turned when they heard me walk out of the bathroom.
"W-wow. You look lovely" Rogue complemented, turning to face me fully. I turned my head away, not sure how to take the praise.
"Come on. Let's go before we miss all the good stuff" Sting whines, walking out of the room with his cat flying behind him. Rogue started walking and I followed him, reaching up to scratch my neck. He took my hand and lowered it, making eye contact with me before I broke it by turning away. We walked through the streets and I was thankful that it wasn't raining as I tilted my head up to look up at the sky which was clear, showing the new moon and all the stars in their glory, painted across the sky.
"They're beautiful aren't they" Rogue smiles, looking up at the sky as well as we walked.
"Yeah. I've never really payed attention to them before" I mumble, watching different stars as they twinkled.
"You know that this time is called Starlight" he comments, looking to me as hair fell across his face. I stopped walking, looking back down at him. He stops as well, looking back at me.
"I-I am actually aware of that. I've just never bothered to look is all" I object, looking down at the ground instead.
"That's a surprise because the way the stars reflect in your eyes is beuatiful" he explains, placing a hand under my chin and bringing my head up to face him. I feel heat rise to my cheeks as I look into his eyes. He smiles slightly.
"Starlight, there's something I want to ask you" he explains. I blink at him as his hand moves to rest on my cheek.
"Starlight, will y-"
"Hey, what's keeping the two of you. I've been waiting for ages for you to catch up" Sting yells, running over to us. Rogue closes his eyes and growls before turning to Sting.
"Could you be any louder? Are you trying to alert the whole block that we're here" he snaps, turning to face Sting who gives a goofy smile while the two cats hovered behind them.
"Whatever, just hurry up" he whines before running off ahead again. Rogue sighs and starts walking again. I walk alongside him.
"Rogue?" he hums in response.
"What were you going to say?" I ask.
"Its not important" he responds, shaking his head. I turn to look ahead of both of us.
"Oh. Alright" I mumble, reaching up one hand and closing it around my chest. Why was it hurting so much? What was this feeling I had? Is it love?
"Hey, look, we're here" Rogue breaks through my thoughts as I look up, spotting the Palace, the gates of which were open wide and inviting people into its walls. I nod, walking alongside Rogue as we entered the Palace. Right away I caught many scents all jumbled up together, none of which I could distinguish from the other. I entered the room where all the scents were coming from. So many people. I even saw Fairy tail members but no Gajeel. Maybe he decided not to come. That's good. I'd rather keep my distance from him. Looking around a little more, I spot Phoenix over with some of her feline friends. I notice her ears twitch and she turns around as I advert my gaze and look somewhere else. I'd rather not bring anything up that might cause a scene here. I split off from Sting and Rogue and make myself comfortable in a corner, having swiped a glass of alcohol on my way there. I lift it up to my lips only for it to be taken from me. I turn to look and see that Rogue is now beside me, holding the glass in his hand.
"That's mine" I object. He lifts it to his own lips and downs it before coughing at the taste.
"You really are a lightweight" I mumble in annoyance.
"Well deal with it. If you pick up any alcohol tonight then I'm taking it. I want to keep you as clean of this stuff for as long as possible" he explains, hand up against his mouth to wipe it.
"Why?"
"Because you're actually a nice person when sober and if you want to actually learn to use your magic, you also need to learn how to keep away from drinks and drugs" he objects.
"It's party. I can drink what I want" I object. He shakes his head but doesn't elaborate. At one point I can see him watching someone and I try to sneak a glass while he isn't paying attention but again he takes the glass from me.
"How the hell did you know I had that? You weren't even watching me" I grumble.
"I'm just that good" he jokes, drinking from that glass a little slower this time. I sigh, blowing at a strand of hair in my face. He places the empty glass down before turning to me and offering his hand.
"What?"
"I have a feeling that won't be the last time you try to sneak one tonight and I'd rather get in a dance before I'm too tipsy to stand straight so care for a dance?" he asks, hand still extended out to me.
"I can't dance. I never learned" I object.
"That's fine. I can teach you" he smiles. I sigh but join my hand with his as he brings me back out into the middle of the room. He starts to dance and I do my best to keep up with and mimic him. He winces when I accidentally step on his foot.
"Sorry. I told you I'm no good at dancing" he smiles at me.
"It's fine. Didn't really hurt anyway. Your super light even for someone of your height" he explains before twirling me around and then bringing me back into our previous position. The song ends and other couples slowly disapate from the dance floor. I break away from Rogue and walk towards a table, once again picking up a glass. It's once again plucked from my grasp and I turn to look at Rogue.
"You know I'm going to keep doing this all night so stop trying, please. I'd rather not get too drunk tonight" he objects, taking a sip from the glass. His cheeks have begun to be highlighted with a pinkish hue.
"So what? It's not like its the first time this week"
"Yeah but I'd rather not do that all over again, especially when your still sober" he objects. I sigh, crossing my arms. The night was pretty boring and despite Rogue's wishes, I still tried to get at least one glass but he caught me everytime. I would be impressed if I wasn't so frustrated. I decided it was time to leave when I caught sight of Gajeel who was watching both me and Rogue. I was incredibly uncomfortable and with Rogue now leaning on me for support from I think his tenth drink but it might be more, I decided that I could use this as an excuse to leave. I pull Rogue's arm over my shoulder completly and walk towards Sting who turns to me.
"I'm going to take Rogue back to the hotel so he can.... You know. Sleep this off" I explain to him. He looks at Rogue.
"Yeah, that would be a good idea. He looks pretty bad" he agrees. I turn around and start walking back to the hotel, trying to remember the path we took. Rogue leans into my neck and I nearly fall over, letting out a squeak from surprise.
"Hey miss, you smell really nice" he purrs into my neck. I blink before sniffing the air. I could smell the alcohol coming off him. Is that what I smell like when I've had something to drink?
"What's your name?" he asks, leaning forward and nearly pulling me with him. I sigh, deciding to indulge him to see how this goes.
"Starlight Redfox" I tell him, taking a few shaky steps since he's still leaning forward. He straightens up slightly.
"Woah. So are you some kind of fallen star or something?" he asks. At this point we've reached the hotel and I'm walking through the lobby to the stairs.
"Nowhere near that"
"Why not? Stars are pretty, even fallen ones" he objects as we go up the stairs.
"And I'm not pretty" I sigh. He goes quiet as we reach the floor his room is on. I reach his room and take the key from a pocket in his suit and unlock the door. I drop him onto the bed before turning to the door and closing it. When I turn around again, he's sat up and staring right at me.
"Could you maybe stare at something else?" I ask.
"But why would I want to. You fascinate me more than anything else here" he objects, eyes meeting mine. I sit down on the bed, pulling at the fingers of my gloves.
"You really shouldn't be" I object. His arms find their way around my waist and his head is buried in the back of my neck. I can feel his breath as it hits my neck even through my hair. I look down at the floor, doing my best to stay nuteral.
"Who hurt you?" he mutters but I heard him. I snap my head around to face him. How was he so serious when he was so drunk he couldn't even remember me earlier.
"N-no one" I lie. He leans towards me and gently wraps his fingers around my arm.
"Let me help" he mutters, leaning closer to me. I want to move but at the same time I don't. He connects our lips and my eyes widen. I should pull away but I can't. No. I don't want to. This kiss is nothing like anything I've ever experienced. All the men and women who have kissed me in the past have been rough and sloppy, only wanting to get me heated for sex so that they can be pleased. But this. Its so gentle and caring. I reach up a shaky hand and place it on the back of his head, returning his kiss. He pulls away before burying his face into my neck, teeth nibbling onto my neck. I gasp, unprepared for that. His teeth are quickly replaced with his lips as he kisses onto the spot he'd nibbled, trailing up my neck and peppering my jaw with soft kisses. I quickly pick up on where this is going.
"Rogue, you should stop" I tell him. He pauses but doesn't move his head.
"But you want this" he objects. I bite my lip.
"That doesn't matter. You're drunk. I...... There's no way you would want this. You said so yourself" I object. No matter how much I wanted him to continue. To find out what having sex with him when I could actually remember it properly would be like, it felt wrong to let him carry on like this.
"But I do want this" he objects.
"You couldn't even remember who I was earlier. You wouldn't know if this is truly what you want" I tell him. He pulls back and looks me in the eye.
"I know that I feel strongly towards you. That's all the confirmation I need" he objects. I feel my eyes finally give in to the tears and lean my head down as they drop down on my dress. He lifts my head up again and places a gentle kiss on my nose.
"Trust me" he whispers, eyes staring into mine as he wipes my tears away with his thumb. I lean into his touch. I've never been touched so gently in this way before. It was nice.
"Alright. But I'll take full responsibility tomorrow" I agree. He pulls me into another kiss and I reciprocate. His kisses lead down my jaw and to my neck again, hands wandering down to my waist.
"You're so small" he Mumbles between kisses.
"I always have been" I respond, leaning into his shoulder. One hand runs up my back, grabbing at the zip and pulling it down. I don't fight it. The dress slips off my shoulders and down my arms slightly, sitting there as Rogue trails down to my collarbone. It was nice. He wasn't rushing in. It was slow and gentle. Almost like he truly loved me. That hurt because no matter how much I enjoyed how gentle he was, it was only the alcohol in his system that was talking. Come morning, any of this intemacy would evaporate and I'd be alone again.