chapter three

Chapter Three

Three days passed after that horrifying incident that occurred on the walkway due to CILS (Crush infatuation and love syndrome). Yep, it's official. I'm suffering from a disease. An emotional one, the type that wrecks your feelings. Just my luck.

Thankfully, I'd managed to escape that humiliating situation with my life though I had totally looked like a crazy oaf in front of Daniel.

I stretched as I exited a two hour lengthy class and in my haste to be out of the lecture hall I ran head first into someone.

I looked up to see Daniel staring down at me with a small smile on his face.

My heart skipped a thousand beats as I took him in.

He was dressed in a baggy black shirt, baggy black jeans and white shoes, a backpack across his shoulder.

Was my eye twitching or was that just me? Great, my palms had also turned sweaty.

Beautiful reactions I must say. Wonderful symptoms that showed how bad my CILS was.

"Um." I swallowed, looking around at the other students who were going in and out of the lecture hall.

I could not handle eye contact with him for more than six seconds. My brain might explode.

Daniel cocked his head to his left, signaling that we should leave the doorway area due to the students. I walked behind him and stopped a few feet from an office.

He looked at me once again. His brown eyes were friendly but today he looked rather shy, almost meek.

"Um, can I help you?" I said, my fingers brushing my hair shakily. I stared at his chest instead, refusing to look directly at him.

He looked at me intently and then very slowly his eyes ran down my entire figure. It wasn't a lingering look, more a quick sweep, like he was seeing me for the first time. That look was enough to make my toes curl inside my shoes.

My cheeks warmed up, flaring with anxiety. What was he thinking? I knew I was pretty. I would never think of myself otherwise. Or maybe it was my outfit? Could something be wrong with it?

You're overthinking.

He took out his phone and began typing on it. When he was done he showed it to me.

Hi, I'm Daniel. Can I know your name?

I smiled a little to myself after reading the text. Then I realized that he just introduced himself to me. It felt like a hammer had been slammed into my chest.

I blinked rapidly. Did he really not know me? We went to the same school together. Granted, our only interaction was during that biology practical because he ran with a different crowd of students back then. The popular crowd.

I felt a pang of pain in my chest. He really had no idea who I was. I was pining after someone who didn't know me at all.

Regardless, I couldn't believe this was really happening. I cleared my throat.

"Hello, I'm Kimberly Alessandro but most people call me Kim." I said and signed the words to him at the same time.

Daniel's brown eyes widened a fraction as he stared at my hands, surprised at the fact that I could communicate via sign language.

But I could. I had taken lessons on it. I did it for him because I knew that was the only way to communicate with him. Not many people in his friend group knew it, only Lucas had learned it but they may have picked up a few things due to time.

I couldn't help feeling pleased.

Daniel grinned widely, the expression enthralling as he pocketed his phone, an intrigued look crossing his face.

"It's nice to meet you Kimberly." He signed.

I looked from his fingers to his eyes, finally meeting his gaze, smiling brightly in return.

I couldn't freaking believe it! We were having a conversation.

"Of course." I signed, saying the words reflexively. I decided I'd sign and say the words as well, just to be sure I didn't make a mistake in conveying my message. I knew it wasn't necessary to sign because he wasn't hearing impaired but I wanted him to feel comfortable.

"You seem so familiar. Did you go to St. Louis High School?" He signed, arching a brow.

"Yes, we were actually in the same grade." I signed, trying so hard to hide my shock. He remembered me. Well, wasn't that nice.

"I knew it. I think I spilled something on you during a practical together, if my memory serves me right." Daniel signed. I noticed he'd stepped a little closer.

I laughed nervously. "Did you? I can't really remember."

"It's fine. Anyway, do you mind if I ask for your number?" Daniel signed, his expression a little hesitant.

I froze, my blood turning to ice.
A part of me died and melted into oil. Did he just ask for my freaking number? Oh God! This is me dreaming! This can't be real!

"Oh...um..." I stuttered.

Just wonderful, now my CILS is so bad I can hardly open my mouth to speak and move my freaking hands!

"It's for my friend Lucas. The guy who spoke to you the other day. He isn't in school so he said if I see you I should ask. If you're not okay with it, it's alright." Daniel signed, expression skeptical.

My heart shattered traumatically into a thousand tiny shards.

"Oh." I said, I could hear the disappointment in my own voice.

He wanted my number. For his friend. How lovely. I tried to hold back my annoyance. Really, there was no reason to be annoyed.

"I hope I've not offended you." Daniel signed, looking down at his shoes in a manner that was rather bashful.

"No, of course not." I signed, trying to reassure him.

I'd let him have my number, not because I wanted to talk to Lucas but because a part of me hoped against all odds that maybe Daniel might be the one to text me. Besides, he wasn't the first guy to ask my number, just the first I really liked.

Daniel smiled and handed me his phone. I put in my number, my heart beating fast.

"Thank you." He signed, taking back his phone.

"No problem." I replied brightly, forgetting to sign the words.

I couldn't look away from him. I continued to stare blatantly, hoping he'd say more.

"I guess I'll be seeing you around Kimberly." Daniel signed.

My heart fell into my stomach and dissolved. No matter. I could handle the disappointment.

"Yeah, you will." I signed sourly but plastered a big smile on my face.

He gave a small smile before walking away. I watched him go. I watched the boy I had this massive crush on walk away.

And then I screamed into my hands, jumping up and down like a kid who got some candy, attracting stares from people.

Did I care? No.

Because Daniel just spoke - I mean signed, interacted? communicated? whatever, you get the point - with me and admitted he knew me, when I thought he had no idea who I was. I couldn't be any happier.

• • •