chapter twenty one

Chapter Twenty One

What part of staying away from Daniel do you not understand Dumberly?

I replayed the message again and again in my mind, trying desperately to unravel the mystery behind the sender.

Could it be Bianca? She'd threatened me at Daniel's house and she'd sounded quite serious about it. Could she really be the one sending all these messages or was someone just using her derisive nickname for me to mess with me?

All of this was so hard to comprehend. Nevertheless, Daniel and I kept up the act of avoiding each other at school, only texting and calling. We never met in my car after that day because I had a feeling the stalker had seen us together, hence the creepy text.

In school it was awkward waves and us trying to gauge our surroundings, to see if anyone was lurking too close, staring too hard.

I remember being on the walkway two days after the text and Harvey had come to school to see me, saying he didn't have any classes at his own university and he wanted to hang out.

It was just me, Harvey, Jennifer and Aurora. He'd leaned in too close to whisper something in my ear that was funny and I had laughed and that was when I noticed Daniel walking down.

The look he threw at Harvey was murderous, his jaw clenched so hard I was afraid he'd ground his teeth to dust.

I waved at him when he looked my way but he didn't wave back.

Lucas was next to him and he was the one who came over to me. Daniel had no choice but to follow.

I looked around in fear, hoping I wouldn't spot anyone suspicious but also hoping I would so I could finally put a face to the stalker.

"Daniel, aren't you going to say hi to Kim?" Lucas said, sitting between me and Harvey who opened his mouth to protest.

I was grateful for this but Daniel ignored Lucas's question and continued to scroll through his phone. He acted like I wasn't even there.

"Lucas, I have to go get something." Daniel said and without waiting for a reply he left.

"That was strange. Are you guys okay?" Aurora asked me.

"Yeah, it's nothing." I said, shrugging.

Next to me Jennifer and Harvey were arguing about something and Lucas was laughing too loud. Lucas and Aurora hadn't amounted to anything romantic because well... Aurora didn't like him that way.

My phone beeped with a text from Daniel.

I'm sorry for ignoring you.

Don't apologize. It's not your fault.

This is one of many apologies if this is how it's going to be.

Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Needless to say, I didn't like that we had to hide us being together but it was clear this...stalker maniac didn't want us close, together. They wanted us apart. I don't know but it fits into Bianca's suspicion pretty well. She didn't want me with Daniel.

But there was also Henry who had threatened me during the carnival, telling me I would regret being with Daniel and not him. But Henry had never met Bianca so he would be oblivious to the nickname she gave me. God, there was so much I couldn't keep up with.

I got into the driver's side of my car, turning to glance behind me, lips tucked in in apprehension as I made sure no one was in the back seat hiding.

I was on my way to get my phone checked at a phone store, to make sure there wasn't something on it like a virus that may have hacked it.