chapter sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

My ice cream date with Daniel had been divine. Not only had we gotten a chance to talk and know each other on a much more personal level. He'd told me he was and I quote, obsessed with me.

I wanted to scream at that moment. The urge to run around the restaurant with my hands above my head, wailing, was strong but I got a hold on myself.

This further solidifies and possibly proves that Daniel likes me, the same way I like him.

During the date we'd talked about our interests and hobbies. Daniel was a fan of the MCU, just like I was. He loved Spider-Man and Loki. I loved Bucky Barnes and Natasha Romanoff.

His favorite color was orange and I'd told him I couldn't really choose a color but I liked pastels. He liked to play basketball and videogames. I liked to spend my time watching Netflix, makeup tutorials and cooking shows.

We'd had a major blast!

I fiddled with Daniel's gold bracelet on my wrist as I watched the dancing students occupying the road, colors upon colors of clothing decorating their bodies as they moved to the music from the trucks following close behind them.

Today was Viana's City University students carnival and as usual I was attending. How could I not when Aurora was one of the dancers in her own crew.

It was hard trying to actually watch these people when Daniel was just standing a few steps away looking as gorgeous as ever. Next to him stood a chattering Jennifer and Lucas. They were watching the students who'd stopped to do their dance routine to the appreciative eyes of the audience.

The whole school was packed. It was days like this that one got to know how massive the school population really was. Of course, everyone was allowed to watch the carnival as well, not just students.

As I stood there just watching I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Lucas standing next to me, his blonde hair in a quiff, his green eyes sparkling.

"Why are you standing here and not with us?" Lucas asked, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Um, nothing." I said, swaying slightly. Actually something. I wanted to go talk to Daniel but as usual I was tongue tied. So I just decided to stand here until he noticed I wasn't next to him and initiated a conversation. But I doubt that will happen when the ever chattering Jennifer was next to him, laughing too much.

"You know I never told you thank you." Lucas said, smiling down at me.

"For what?"

"For helping Daniel come out of his shell." Lucas said, he reached up and pushed my hair from my face before dropping his hand. "I never thought I'd hear his voice again."

"I didn't really do anything. He made the decision to speak." I said.

"But that only happened when you came into his life." Lucas smiled.

"Well..." I trailed off. Maybe and maybe not. But in the end it had been his decision. He'd had an epiphany moment after the accident and that had spurred it. I couldn't take credit for that. It was all Daniel.

"It's been so hard for all of us. Especially his parents ever since..." He paused. "Well, ever since the incident."

"What happened to him?" I asked curiously.

"A lot." Lucas breathed in heavily. "But I don't think it's my place to tell you. It's Daniel's secret."

"I understand." I agreed. He was right. Daniel was the only one who should tell the tale and only when he wanted to. I'd almost forgotten that. Damn my curiosity.