chapter thirty

Final Chapter Thirty

I started the new week with a load of sadness pressing me down. Tugging at my heart strings and suffocating me till I felt I might die from its hold.

Daniel's funeral was held on Thursday. A memorial service was held at the school on Tuesday. It's been two weeks.

Standing in that cemetery, his parents dressed in black, his mother sobbing behind her dark glasses and his father, unmoving yet he couldn't keep the sadness from his eyes as he comforted his wife.

They all knew why Daniel was dead. Someone found us on that street and called the police. They came, asked questions and I told them everything I knew. Two out of six of the security men lost their lives and the others were left with severe burns and injuries, Chris and Gideon included. All Aurora's fault.

The fire had not been easy to put out and everything was burnt to ashes. A huge debris of bricks, metal and wood remained. Nothing was left standing.

And Aurora? She was gone like the wind. No one could find her. But I expected that. She'd come prepared. They asked me if I'd gotten the plates on the cars and I laughed. There were no plates. The search for Aurora was becoming a failed matter. She would never be found. And Daniel...Daniel was dead, gone.

I found it hard to believe but it was true. After I saw that gravestone with his name on it I still wanted to believe I was in a nightmare and would wake up with him smiling down at me, asking me what I was dreaming about.

I felt empty, desolate. I never imagined that I'd ever feel this way.

You can't trust people Kimberly.

Isn't that what Daniel had told me. If only I had known how right he was. Aurora, my so-called best friend, killed Daniel. She took him away from me without a shred of remorse. If Aurora could betray me, stab me like that, then no one on this earth was worth giving my trust to.

I was just...tired.

Tired of being stuck in this slow whirlwind of sadness and anguish.

Someone gently pushed my shoulder, startling me. I looked up to see Jennifer staring at me with concern.

"Kim, you okay? You seemed lost in thought." Jennifer said softly.

I gave a small weak smile. Jennifer reached up and brushed something from my cheek. I realized I was crying and wiped my face.

"Oh Kim." Jennifer said and pulled me to her. I closed my eyes and sobbed quietly. All I did these days was cry. How was I supposed to start another new week of school knowing that I would never see Daniel ever again. Knowing that I would never get to look up into his expressive brown eyes and watch that fond smile curve his lips.

Was this how he felt when he lost Ella? Broken? Confused? Sad beyond reckoning?

Jennifer pulled back, sniffing and wiping at her face. I remember when I told Jennifer that it was Aurora's doing all along and she wouldn't believe me. She thought I was just joking. But that all changed when Aurora wasn't anywhere to be found.

I looked at Jennifer, studied her. Would she someday betray me like Aurora did? Could I trust her with my secrets especially after she'd said what she said about me?

I told her about Harvey anyway, how he'd acted at the party. She didn't deserve to pine after someone as stupid as that. She deserved better, if not more. A part of me hopes Jennifer would stick with me. That she wouldn't find a reason to want to hurt me. I don't think I could handle another betrayal.

I know I was going to find it hard to trust anyone. How can I? I'd just watched my best friend rip my heart out and cut it up into pieces. It just wasn't worth it.