chapter twenty nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

Aurora's words hung in the air like broken light bulbs, taunting us. The shards falling down on us in the form of anxiety and fear. I can't believe she would be this cruel. She actually killed a girl. All this time, she'd been pretending. I remember when I got the first message and we did our research back at the dorm room. Aurora had defended Daniel, meanwhile all along it was her. All this time I'd been with Ella's killer.

My eyes moved around the large room, the fourth man at the door walked over to Aurora, handing her a small gun. She stood up, walked over to Daniel and pointed the gun at him.

My blood turned into ice.

"Aurora please, don't do this. Please." I begged, the tears running down my face now. I couldn't stop them. Just a little press of her finger on that trigger could end Daniel's life.

And I couldn't watch him die. I just couldn't.

"Don't beg for his life Kim. It's unladylike. He's a man, he should do it." Aurora said, staring down at Daniel with fire in her eyes.

Daniel gave her a defiant look. I wanted to scream at him to say something, to appeal to her to spare him. Didn't he see that gun aimed at his face?

"Who's helping you Aurora? Who's behind all these men here? We both know you can't have control of these men, so who is it?" Daniel said calmly, probing.

Aurora smiled. "You're smart Daniel. I'll give you that. Anyway, these men work for me and my fiance."

My eyes almost popped out of my sockets. "Fiance? You're engaged? When?"

"Last year. It was a private matter." Aurora smirked.

"Who. Is. He?" Daniel repeated, saying the words through clenched teeth.

"Oh, someone you know. A business rival of our father's. He's the one helping me carry out all my plans. He's the one who's made me realize that you can choose your own family. That blood doesn't make someone your family." Aurora smirked.

How did she meet this business rival of her father's or convince him to do what she wants? And who the hell was he? I doubt she'd name him.

Whoever this man was, he was dangerous and probably held a massive grudge against Daniel's father. Enough for him to side with a killer.

"And all those messages you sent to Kimberly. Let me guess, you hired some hacker to do it, didn't you?" Daniel said, voice flat.

"Obviously. My fiance didn't mind paying for the convenience of sending messages and deleting them with no trace. He's amazing really." Aurora gushed.

I closed my eyes, shaking my head, wishing this was some nightmare.

"If you're going to kill me, then do it. Just let Kimberly go. Please." Daniel said, looking over at me. I shook my head, not agreeing.

"Always putting others first. That's you Daniel, the generous son of a bitch." She whacked him across the face with the gun. I struggled, pushing through the arms of the man holding me with no success.

Aurora turned to me with the gun, pointing it at me. She smirked.

"No! Just kill me instead. Isn't that what you want?" Daniel said frantically, eyes wide with panic.

"You're right. It's what I want." Aurora said, blinking slowly as she looked at me. For a split second, I caught a glimpse of the Aurora I knew before she smothered it with a cold expression.

Quick as a flash, she turned on Daniel, pulling the trigger. I screamed when the bullet went through his stomach and Daniel slumped to the floor, clutching his side, blood pouring out from the hole in his shirt.