chapter twenty eight

Chapter Twenty Eight

We both stood up, shocked, listening to the thundering sound coming from upstairs, my heart and everything that I held dear crumbling.

The sound was so loud it sent a reverberating shiver of fear down my spine. I could hear screams. I locked eyes with Daniel who immediately pulled out his phone, swiping and placing it to his ear.

"Chris, what's happening?" Daniel snapped into the phone. Chris, being one of the security personnel that hung around Daniel's house.

Chris was probably yelling something because I could hear his voice through the phone before the sound suddenly cut off at the exact same time we both heard a gunshot.

"Oh my God." I said, frightened.

"Come on." Daniel said, urgency in his tone as he stuffed his phone roughly into his pocket and pulled my hand.

We had barely taken a step when the door to the room came crashing open, a scream escaping from me.

I jumped in fear when four men rushed in. Four men dressed in black apparel with masks covering their faces. Before we could react they'd grabbed me and Daniel, separating us. Two of them subdued Daniel while a hand was wrapped around my mouth, preventing me from screaming.

Every move Daniel made was followed by kicks and punches from the two men. They beat him up mercilessly, ignoring my cries.

My breathing came out in harsh pants, I felt like my heart was going to explode and burst through my rib cage.

Daniel was on his knees now, two guns pointed at his head, blood dripping from the side of his head where he'd sustained an injury. He was battered and bloody, his face swelling already from bruises.

I groaned, struggling to be free but the man holding me was as strong as a rock. The other man stood by the doorway, unmoving.

"Well, well, lovebirds. Finally, we met. Oh wait, we already know each other." A voice said.

I froze in mortification. I know that voice. This can't be true. There's no way. But it was true as I watched the owner of the cold voice step into the light of the bedroom, revealing themselves with a wicked smile on their face.

Aurora Davidson.

My red haired best friend. She stood there, proud, tall. Red hair flailing around. Her hazel eyes filled with so much ice, it was hard to believe it was her. She was also dressed in black, something that wasn't new for her. But she had on blood red lipstick.

She gave the man holding me a signal and he released his hold on my mouth.

"Aurora, what's going on? What's this?" I said, disbelief still coursing through my body.

"What does it look like is happening, Kim? I'm having the time of my life." She said, walking over to Daniel's huge reading armchair and sitting, crossing one leg over the other, examining us with cool eyes.

"All this time it's been you, hasn't it?" Daniel said, his eyes hard.

"Oh come now, don't be so sad Daniel. There's a reason for everything, brother." Aurora spat the last word out like it was a poisonous liquid on her tongue.

Time slowed down. The air seemed to dissipate at that one word. Brother.

Daniel blinked severally, face clouded with confusion.

"Ah, of course. You're not aware. Silly me." Aurora smiled. "I think I should begin by telling you we're siblings. We share the same father."

My jaw dropped. She must be joking. Daniel's eyes widened and he looked her over with utter disbelief.