prologue

Prologue

The girl sat in her huge room, earphones plugged in, listening to Nicki Minaj sing on the track Thought I Knew You, a song featuring another one of her favorite artists, The Weeknd.

As she listened she thought about her wonderful boyfriend and the day they'd had yesterday. She'd been so happy but of course, being around him did that to her. Who would've thought she'd have found her own version of love in him. A kind, calm and gentle soul of a boy.

She ran a hand through her black braids, contemplating taking them out soon as they'd began to get rough.

I should call him. See what he's up to. She thought then shook her head. That would make her come across as clingy but she already missed him.

The song ended and another came on. A song by Madonna. Frozen. The song filled her ears, erasing her thoughts and her mind began to wander.

Wander to thoughts of her boyfriend, of school, her life.

She never heard her front door open. She never heard the lowered breaths of an intruder walking softly through her huge house, never heard the soft squish of the plush carpet under their feet. Never knew something dangerous was drawing near, lurking. Her fate in their hands.

She never heard the door to her room open, never saw the figure clad in black enter, a small smile curving their lips as they assessed their prey.

It was only when she felt the sensation of being watched that she opened her eyes and froze, just like Madonna's song entailed.

She sat up abruptly and came face to face with the figure who hadn't bothered to put on a mask. They wanted her to see them. To acknowledge them.

She swallowed, recognizing the figure. She knew this person. But what were they doing in her room? How had they gotten into her house? And why did they have that look of pure disgust in their eyes?

She peeled the earphones from her ears and steeled herself, taking even breaths.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

The figure smiled. Derailed and sinister. It spoke of many things, that smile. It spoke of evil. Of carnage. And the girl seated on the bed knew it. She could feel the fear now. Strong, cold. It slid down the ridge of her back. It clawed at her neck.

"I'm here to kill you." The figure replied, startling the girl on the bed. The girl jumped, her body trembling. Her phone was in her hand. She knew what to do but panic seized her, her eyes going wide.

"Why? Why are you saying that?" The girl asked, unable to comprehend the fact that this person would think about something so mundane.

The figure wanted to kill her? Why? What had she done to them? She couldn't believe the person in front of her wanted her dead. She knew this person. Well, she thought she knew them, because now they were here to take her life.

She made her decision. And the figure made theirs. She moved to run and the figure lunged, a knife now brandishing in their right hand.

The girl screamed as the figure was now on top of her, knocking the phone to the floor, pinning her underneath them. The figure was strong. Way too strong. She screamed again, tears filling her eyes but the figure just smiled and without hesitation brought the knife down on her chest, lodging it deep.

The girl choked. Her blood was all she could smell. And the figure was all she could see. Death was calling and she would have no choice but to answer and yet she tried to struggle, to push through the figure but they stabbed her again and again. Their eyes were filled with hatred, their eyes was that of a mad man let loose.

She felt the pain, felt her flesh being ripped, her heart stopping and the blood going through the wounds inflicted on her.

So this is how I'll die. This is how I die. This is...

Her eyes began to slide close as the figure stopped stabbing her, taking deep breaths and laughing hysterically. Laughing at her dying form.

The last thing the girl saw was the maniacal smile that curved the lips of her killer. The last thing she heard were the words she'd take with her as she met death.

"Sweet dreams Ella."

• • •