chapter twenty two

Chapter Twenty Two

I'd been discharged from the hospital days later. Apart from the injury on my head that I was given medication for, I was doing okay.

And that's why I was able to attend the award dinner held by my Medical Laboratory Science department. I was not at all enthusiastic about it. It felt more like an obligation than anything else.

My situation was slowly getting worse. As if getting threat messages from someone unknown wasn't enough, my brakes had been tampered with and then at the hospital room a strange person had come into my room, whispering about how I was being taught a lesson.

They'd gotten to my car and it was destroyed in the fire after the accident. Daniel wanted to get me a new one almost immediately but I refused. Told him I didn't want one.

Did he listen? No. He went and got me another one. Exactly like the old one and threw in a bodyguard who would also drive me around.

"Daniel, you know you don't have to get me another car, right?" I had said to him, chewing on my bottom lip because I wasn't so comfortable with the idea of him spending so much on me.

"It was a gift from me. And it got destroyed. I'd buy it a thousand times over." Daniel had said, tipping my chin up so I would meet his eyes.

I had blushed, not really knowing what to say and I'd agreed to accept the gift a second time.

Daniel was the kind of person who gave freely, who valued smiles brought upon by his act of giving. Daniel was a lot of things and I wanted to unravel every inch of him.

So I had a new car again and I got the bodyguard after I'd told him about being visited by the deranged person behind all this. The bodyguard's name was Gideon. Dark brown skinned, tall, heavily built. Nice guy.

However, I'd mentioned to Daniel that it wasn't entirely a good idea to get me a car when the last one had been rigged by this stalker. What if they attempted to rig this new one?

Daniel had assured me that it won't happen again. That Gideon would be the one driving me anywhere I wanted and if I ever felt like driving, it would only happen after Gideon had checked the car thoroughly.

The look of unease and guilt on Daniel's face when he presented the new keys to me had me worried. I knew there was more to this and I was hoping he'd be willing to explain soon before things got out of hand.

I sipped my drink and spotted Bianca in the crowd of students dressed formally. I frowned. What was she doing here? This was a dinner night held for my department. She wasn't supposed to be here mingling with students and laughing and chatting.

"What's wrong Kim?" Jennifer said next to me on the round covered table. She'd decided to accompany me to this event that I honestly wish I could run away from.

Gideon was standing a few steps away, trying to be inconspicuous.

"I'll be back." I stood up and walked purposefully to Bianca who was with some guy, smiling widely. From the corner of my eye I could see Gideon following after me.

"Bianca." I spat her name out like it was some foul drug.

"Ah, if it isn't Dumberly." Bianca smiled wickedly, her red lips stretching across her face, her gray eyes cold.

The fact that she'd referred to me as Dumberly made me feel eerie. Could she really have been the one in my room? I couldn't really make out the voice of the intruder. They'd been sure to speak low, softly, almost inaudible and plus I was feeling fuzzy at the time.

"Are you the one sending me messages asking me to stay away from Daniel?" I fired, getting right down to it.

Bianca blinked. "Excuse me?"