chapter five

Chapter Five

I shut my laptop and stretched my arms. The digital cartoon drawing I'd just been working on was finally completed and soon I'll be uploading it to my Instagram account. But that would be later, for now I needed a huge dose of cold orange juice.

Drawing was a hobby I'd indulged in since I was a kid. An escape, like reading was to others. But now it was also a way to have some income. I made commissions, art prints and people seemed to love it as much as I did.

I went down from my bed and opened up the fridge that me and Jennifer shared, taking out a carton of orange juice and pouring it into a glass.

I gulped down the first glass before pouring another and moving back to my bed.

School today had been hectic. Even more hectic than usual because I had to endure about fifteen minutes of conversation with Lucas. The good side was that Daniel had been there and he'd smiled at me and my heart had melted. So that made my day.

I picked up my phone, unlocked it and turned on my data connection. Messages and notifications came in instantly. I opened my WhatsApp and groaned when I saw I'd gotten a message from Lucas again.

I was about to reply to it when I noticed a message from a strange number that I hadn't saved.

I clicked it open and read it.

Hi Kimberly.

That's all it said. I couldn't view the profile picture of whoever it was so I decided to reply. Luckily it showed this person was online.

Um hi, who is this?

Daniel Morales. Lucas's friend. You remember me, right?

I choked on my orange juice.

What THE ACTUAL HELL! No way! No fudging way! It can't be Daniel! It can't be the Daniel that I secretly not so secretly crush on! It just can't!

Okay, breathe Kim. Breathe...

I took deep breaths and finally calmed down.

Is it just me or are my eyes finally deceiving me? Or am I hallucinating?

Because that message clearly states that Daniel is the one texting me! Daniel of all people?! The cause of my CILS.

Impossible.

I composed myself enough to type a message.

Daniel oh hi Daniel. What's up Daniel kayayg.

I cringed and mentally slapped myself. What was this? I just typed Daniel three freaking times! And I managed to tag on something utterly incoherent due to my excitement.

I have a feeling at the end of the day due to my forte in embarrassing myself Daniel will block me.

I hope messaging you doesn't bother you. I just wanted to say hello.

I wheezed. This isn't happening!

That's alright. So what's up?