chapter nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I chewed on my bottom lip, apprehension raking through my entire being.

Students' week was over. Back to school it was. My birthday was long gone but the events that transpired still lingered in my mind, choking me, taunting me everyday after that.

One whole week. One full week without Daniel.

He ignored all my messages. Didn't pick up any calls I sent his way. I spoke to Lucas who said he was having a hard time after what Henry said. He was having sessions with his therapist and I needed to give him space and time. So I stopped calling and texting halfway into the week.

Tomorrow would be Monday, the start of a new week and hopefully Daniel will be in school.

I missed him so much. It was hard for me to fall asleep because I kept wondering what was going on with him.

I missed our ridiculous texts but now everything was just upside down and it was all because of Henry's accusations.

Henry had the guts to look Daniel in the face and proclaim him a killer, a vile murderer. What in the world was wrong with that guy?

Daniel couldn't possibly be a killer. He'd never hurt a fly. He just wasn't that person.

Appearances can be deceiving, Kim.

True, but I know Daniel. He wouldn't. He couldn't. It just wasn't him. I wanted to believe he wasn't capable of doing something as horrendous as taking someone's life.

But then, why had he freaked out and left? I understand that he couldn't handle the accusations but he never opened his mouth to deny them at all. That line of thought worried me.

My phone chirped. A text from Daniel?

My eyes widened and a broad smile spread on my face, on the verge of hyperventilating, my mind reeling with happiness.

Come downstairs.

That was all the message said. I frowned. Not "how are you?" Not a reply to my other texts?

Nevertheless, I hastily changed into a more presentable shirt and hurried downstairs to the lobby.

My breathing caught in my throat when I saw Daniel there, seated. He looked like he always did; calm, collected, an admirable reticence about him and let's not forget, good looking. Clad in an oversized gray shirt, jeans and black sneakers, he was breathtaking.

There was a skip in my step when I approached him and sat next to him.

"Hey there!" I greeted rather brightly. I had missed him so much I could barely explain it. I waited for him to reply so I could ask him how his therapy sessions were going and how he was.

He turned his head to look at me, his eyes moving over my face slowly, then roaming over my body, as if he was trying to make sure all of me was really there before he met my eyes.

He gave a small smile, his eyes though didn't convey any emotion. That sort of worried me. Where was the warm, intense, bone melting look I was used to?