Chapter 25

Claudia's POV

Everything was going fine. I was living my boring life peacefully until Kenneth entered my life. Every day I wake up to face the unexpected turns my life takes. Kenneth, he is like a storm in my life. A storm which is swallowing me with it. The more I feel like running away from it, the more it pulls me towards it.

I know I should feel scared but what I feel is contrary to it. I feel protected. I feel cared. Most importantly I feel is... safe.

I looked down at our interlocked fingers. His hold on my hand tightens by each step. Despite, my heart which is beating wildly or my mind which is screaming to shrug off his hand and run away or the gut feeling which is warning me... I did what a dumb person would do. I let him drag me. I was too numb to think or do what my brain is instructing me to do.

I don't know exactly what is happening but I know for sure that this is related to Kenneth and his gang.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice when he halted a cab. He turned to look at me and quickly averted his eyes. He told the cab driver my address and made me sit at the back seat safely.

Cherry had already entered the cab. Immediately he jumped on my lap as soon as I entered inside. He was scared by the sudden change in Kenneth's demeanour. As this was the first they were meeting. But he was unfamiliar with the fact that I was used to this. Kenneth and his unpredictable behaviours.

I glanced out of the window at Kenneth. His hands were shoved in his pockets. He was back to his cold self. But his eyes told a different story.

The driver started the cab and soon we were far away. I peeked from the rearview mirror to see if he is still there but to my disappointment, he was gone.

I sighed.

Absentmindedly, I ran my fingers through Cherry's fur, lost in my own thoughts.

"Missing your loverboy already?"

I slightly jump on my seat by the sudden voice. I looked at the driver whose face was almost covered with his cap.

"Huh?" I frowned.

"That guy who was with you earlier", he said implying Kenneth.

"Oh! No! He is just a...friend. Yeah, a good friend", I mumbled.

God! Why do I have to stutter?

Even though he couldn't see me, he knew that I was lying. I could tell by his smirk.

And wait!

Why do I have to answer his questions? Who is he to me? He doesn't even know me?

I rolled my eyes.

Stupid me!

'Yes, you are'.

Suddenly, he speeds up his cab. I looked at him to see him adjusting his cap.

From inside I was panicking, but I tried to not show it on my face. Because the man sitting in front of me is creeping me out. And I am damn sure he would take advantage of my frightened state.

Cherry was now alert. He could easily sense the danger.

"You have a brother right?" He enquired with a fake innocence in his voice.

I clenched my hand into a fist.

"Who are you?" I asked glaring at his back. I was shaking from inside at the mention of my brother.

"Oops! I am sorry", He gasped. "You had a brother."

"I totally forgot that he is dead. Silly me", he said in a mocking tone.