I.into the unknown

This is it. In a few seconds, Agatha Harris would finally be meeting her pen-pal of one month, her future husband, Mr. Genesis Williams.

Train halting, swarming of passengers inside, all eager to storm off the stinky vehicle they resided for over a couple of days, each clutching carpetbags of their own. All awaiting for a bright future.

Agatha with her sweaty palms, her soil-colored dress which was mended for the hundredth time, battered oxford shoes, and small hand-me-down carpetbag, stepped out of the crowded train.

Tucking in her red hair she kept on fixing during the long ride, Agatha stood in the corner, her ears picking up such noises from the Texan men.

Don't get her wrong, noise is no foreign to her. She had worked in a diner since her parents died several years ago. She was so used to it to the point she could barely sleep in total silence.

Sea of crowds surrounded her, women all prettily-dressed, their eyes wandering around, dozens of men stood in front, holding signs, wearing such different cowboy hats.

Like all these women, Agatha is also a mail-order bride. Bravely step into the unknown, agreeing to marry a man they barely knew just to escape the past.

They're either stupid or desperate. Agatha considers herself both.

Everybody knew they did not come searching for love, it was the security they all sought.

Agatha knew she can't see Tom Leroy again. Just thinking about him brought numerous emotions. Shaking her head, she broke her train-of-thoughts.

Her oceanic orbs gazing around, Agatha stood still, fidgeting in her position, her heart pounding hard, her fair fingers trembling, Mr. Genesis Williams told her he'll be the one to come fetch her.

She even wore the brown hat with a plain blue ribbon he sent her in order to easily spot her from the crowd.

Agatha waited and waited, little by little, the people began evaporating.

One thing about her is her shyness, she just can't get herself to get rid of it despite working in a busy diner for years now. Besides, all she did there was cook and fetch a few orders here and there.

Her hand trembling, she lightly grip the tip of the hat, gingerly, she lifted it, waving it off in the air, hoping to get the attention of Genesis.

However, there was no use.

Agatha was standing on the platform far too long, long enough for the crowd to disappear, leaving her all alone in a foreign land.

Agatha began to worry, what if Genesis changed his mind about her? But he sent her this cowboy hat and train ticket money.

Tears pooling, she could feel her heart sinking, she just can't go back to Cedarburg. She does not have a job to go back to. She can't even afford a train ticket bound home.

Her blue eyes glued on the ground, forcing herself not to cry, she felt a light tap on her shoulder.

When she looked up, there stood a tall colored man before her, wearing a cowboy hat resembling hers minus the blue ribbon, a pair of black boots, denim pants and jacket, and a white shirt.

This man's massive, tell you that. Agatha squinted her eyes at him for she could barely see his face due to the sun behind him.

"You Miss Agatha Harris?" asked the tall man with such a deep voice.

Agatha swiftly nodded as a reply, afraid her voice would betray her.

"I'm Genesis Williams," he said in a very casual manner, hands inside his pockets, tipping his cowboy hat.