XIII.godforsaken woman

Agatha did not like one bit the woman Genesis sent her and God knows the woman reciprocates the feeling.

How amusing the look on Mrs. Camestone as her hazelnut eyes clapped upon Agatha, frowning, Mrs.Camestone did not bother pretending not to judge her.

Mrs. Camestone, a colored woman in her mid-thirties, her hair tamed and tied, wearing a yellow checkered frock while Agatha here with her newly sewed emerald dress and her not-so-tamed red hair.

Still, Agatha tried her best to show any remorse, smiling altogether.

"A white woman, indeed. I didn't quite believe my husband when he told me Genesis decided to fetch a mail-order bride, what more a white woman, goodness, what came upon that child's head, that I don't know," she exclaimed, sitting down, her dark brows furrowed, shaking her head still, scrutinizing Agatha.

Agatha followed her lead, taking the chair opposite her, her hands nestled on top of her lap, biting her inner cheek.

"Good day to you too, Mrs. Ca-camestone," Agatha uttered, her voice faint, struggling not to stutter to avoid further humiliation.

Letting out an exaggerated sigh, "And look at that ridiculous hair of yours, goodness baffles me why they didn't burn you back in..."

"Ca-cedarburg, ma-am," her head downcast, her fingers consciously tugging her hair.

And so, that went on for about half an hour, Mrs. Camestone commenting on every insecurity of Agatha.

Agatha, meanwhile, desperate not to humiliate Genesis, simply idly there, biting her lips, endless battle with the tears that want to break through, her fingers trembling.

"You're a mail-order babymaker, girl, not bride, keep that in that head of yours," at that, Agatha felt her heartache.

"I can't quite grasp this whole arrangement of you and Genesis'" added Mrs. G, her arms crossed.

"You look like a church-goer type but you're committing a sin here, you girl, living under the same roof, unmarried yet, of course, all this, with sex involved," her voice horrified, her gaze disgusted.

"Tha-that am aware, Mrs. Camestone,"

"Oh, that boy must've hit his head to be this stupid. Settling for a white woman like you, what a shame on our race, should've remained a slave, that fella," tsk-ing was followed.

At those words, Agatha had enough. Before she knew it, she was standing before the awful woman, her hands clenched, her lips pressed.

Never had Agatha felt like exploding due to extreme anger, all she wants to do is holler and holler, shake the woman out of her senses.

"That's enough, Mrs. Camestone, take those words back, you-,"

Mrs. Camestone knew that, of course, arching her brow. "What? You nigger?"

Agatha's sapphire eyes went wide at what she heard, shaking her head slowly, disbelief, "Tha-that's not what am trying to sa-say, ma'am,"

Mrs. Camestone' sardonic snicker filled the chamber, "I know girls like you, with all your pretty faces and all yet has a soul of a devil, if you even have one, that is,"

Biting her inner cheek, Agatha calmly said, "If you ex-excuse me, ma'am, I better get going, am not feeling we-well,"

Agatha was hoping to escape the clutches of this godforsaken woman when there she heard it again, her judging pitch.

"Don't tell me you're pregnant, have some shame to yourself, girl," her hand on her chest.

Hands behind her back, Agatha simply responded, "No, am not, ma'am and no, Mr. Williams and I ha-have not been engaged to fortification, thank you very much,"