VI.nightmare

A few minutes after Agatha announced she'll be sleeping, the sound of her snoring erupted, the canopy trapping it.

Genesis, grinning from ear to ear, rewarded her with an amused look, his smile broadening when her mouth opened ajar.

Her green carpet bag right beside her head, the romance book she was pretending to read a while ago peeking out.

His eyes wandering around the not-so-spacious tent, Genesis knew the tent could perfectly fit two persons.

For some reason, looking at Agatha the first day, he knew she'll go blushing if he said they'll sleep together.

That's why he was stunned when Agatha insisted he'll sleep inside the flap, not that he's complaining about only God knows how he'll sleep outside sans the dry ground and fire.

Still, he knew he couldn't take advantage of her because he had already taken advantage of her desperation. Fooling her and all.

The last thing she needs is the sight of a sleeping African-American rancher beside her early in the morning.

Grunting, with the continuous downpour outside, he scratched his slender arms and legs, careful not to touch the sleeping girl beside him.

Gingerly, letting his back have the liberty to lean against the flap, yawning, praying sleep would soon visit him though he highly doubts it due to Agatha's presence.

Even in sleep, Genesis doesn't trust himself. A long journey still ahead of them tomorrow, Genesis closed his eyes, promising to only take a nap.

Little did he know, like Agatha, he too is snoring as well, his sitting position turned sideways until his head was resting on her tummy.

It was in the midst of the night, the downpour of rain still ongoing when Genesis sensed vibrations against his cheek.

Instantly, his head went up, realizing Agatha was trembling in her sleep, her feet fidgeting, as if in a running motion. Her hands lie freezing beside her.

Agatha's having a nightmare, that's for sure. Hurriedly, Genesis crouches down beside her, lightly tapping her in the shoulder.

However, she gave no response until it worsens, tears began falling down her cheeks to her throat, her lips quivering yet her eyes remained closed.

"N-no," Genesis heard her murmur, over and over again.

Desperate this time, Genesis grabs her shoulders, shaking her. Still, no response.

"Agatha, wake up," he hoarsely muttered, panic rising within him as he began lightly slapping her cheek.

Until Agatha's blue eyes went open, she sat in the cot, beads of sweat falling down her temple, gasping for air, her rosy hair sticking in all directions, her cheeks crimson.

Genesis watched as her eyes roamed around, as if assuring herself, then, when their eyes met, no one broke it.

"You were having a nightmare, sweetheart," he said, his hand snaking to her hand, comforting her.

Still looking at him, she merely nodded, her lips still quivering, her tears ready to explode any second.

Genesis could take it no more, his arms instantly went around her in which she hurriedly welcomed, as if seeking for refuge, her head tucked inside his second layer of the shirt, silently crying, clenching his shirt.

All Genesis could ever do is caress her back, his head on top of her head, planting a kiss on her temple, he said, "It's okay, honey, I'm here, no one's gonna hurt you,"

Agatha, hearing his supposedly comforting words, broke down more. Genesis settled down by merely stroking down her ruddy hair, all escaping its tie, rocking her still-trembling body.

The next thing he knew, Agatha was already asleep in his arms, sitting in his lap, her head tucked in the crook of his arm, serving as her pillow.

Genesis couldn't bring himself to go back to sleep, his mind conjuring the possibilities why Agatha acted like this.

All her stutters, her constant cries every night, her avoidance in physical contacts, and now, her nightmare, are all these connections.

One thing's for sure, Genesis wants nothing but the blood of the person responsible for this.

The following morning, Agatha couldn't bring herself to look him in the eye. Obviously pretending as if nothing happened last night.

Because of that, she finished way too fast for her breakfast, almost tripping in a hurry.

"I'll go get the buggy ready," was the last thing Genesis said before she excused herself to the pond, tripping for the second time.

Shaking his head, Genesis stared at the frantic Agatha whose quick walks soon turned into a sprint.

She obviously doesn't want to talk about last night which he has no problem with.

Of course, he wouldn't force her to talk about it, explain what it's all about, the girl had enough problems already, she doesn't need a gossipmonger like him.

Though Genesis knew deep inside him that not only does he need to know what really occurred, he wants to.

He wants to know what's bothering the poor girl.

When he tried opening the subject of what transpired last night, she was quick to change the topic.

"Fi-fine weather, isn't it?" Avoiding his gaze.

Genesis let his eyes wander around the blue skies above them, nothing usual. The same as yesterday, the day before, and the first day they met at the train station.

"Indeed," he found himself replying.

When he tried talking about her nightmare last night again for the second time this day, she abruptly changed the topic once again.

"I wonder, how many horses do you have, Sir?" Stammering.

Shrugging, " I lost count ages ago," he replied.

At his third attempt, he decides to surrender.

'Fine, enough mingling on one's life,' he thought as he halted the buggy, stopping for a rest by the pond.

Without any warning, Agatha stormed out of the buggy, walking fast away from him, tripping for the 3rd time this day.

Genesis, all could ever muster is a shake in the head.