V.the deal

Agatha's cheek turned the same color as her fiery hair when she felt a gentle hand landed on top of her hat, adjusting it to perfectly shield her face from the sun.

"Tha-thank you,"

Shrugging, he returned his hand to the rein, "We wouldn't want you getting your pretty face all flaky, right?"

Her blush deepened. No, not because her face might brittle for God knows she went through worse. Him calling her face 'pretty' caused the crimsoning of her cheeks.

Another hour went by, the two of them barely exchanging words until Agatha asked, "When we reach your ranch, sir, wo-would we be sharing the same room?"

If Genesis' drinking something, he surely spurted it due to shock. Of all questions, that's the last thing he expected her to ask.

"It's o-okay if you won't a-answer, Sir," Agatha swiftly added, waving her hand off before her. Panic rising in her chest.

Shaking his head, he said, "It's fine, sweetheart, no harm done with your question,"

Agatha loosened up a bit from his assurance, her fingers fidgeting, biting her lip as she awaits his answer.

"If you don't mind, yes, the two of us would be sharing the same room, the same bed," he responded, he, too, it seems like, is uncomfortable with the subject judging from his sideways glances.

At his answer, her heart began skipping a beat. Clenching her prairie-colored frock, her palms sweaty.

There was a deafening silence subsequent to that.

All Agatha could hear was the rapid sound of her heartbeat. She knew she couldn't bring herself to stay in the same bed with a man. She just can't.

Just by thinking about it, the memory came flashing down, she felt like suffocating this moment, her hands trembling.

Genesis must've sensed it for he halted the bugger, in an instant, his callused hands lightly gripping her shoulder, for some reason, she did not react violently to the touch.

Instead, she found herself leaning to his touch, with her teary eyes, she found herself gazing back to Genesis' worried eyes.

"Everything all right?" Questioned Genesis, his thumb rubbing across her frock.

Agatha knew she should nod, and simply wave everything that occurred off. However, before she knew it, the words, "Can we please withhold the act, Sir?" came rushing out her quivering lips.

They both knew what the 'act' is.

Genesis was taken back, indeed. Before he could say more, she raced him, saying, "Please, Sir," clutching his shirt as if her life depended on it.

Genesis immediately nodded, his hands still around her shoulders, "okay, okay, how long would you like to postpone it?"

He mentally sighs. Not in disappointment, well maybe a bit for it was mostly because he knew she went through something traumatic to act like this. Again, his blood boils.

She knew she was crossing the limit when she responded, "Si-six months,"

Genesis gave her a bewildered look as if he did not hear her loud and clear.

Agatha knew he had every right to complain. It was selfish of her to request it but she was desperate. She knew the man was in need of an heir.

"That long?" Replied Genesis, still looking at her in a stunned face.

"Ye-yes, sir. If it's you-only okay with you. I promise, after six months, I shall k-keep my mouth shut," she hurriedly explained, tugging at his shirt.

"I sha-shall have no say regarding us staying in the same roof, living like a ma-married couple sans the blessing of the Church. I shall tu-turn a blind eye on the sin but please, Sir, grant me thi-this six months," pleaded Agatha. Genesis had never heard her spoken so long ever since they met.

Even in letters, her replies seem short and shy.

Genesis' hazelnut eyes shifted shortly to her hands then to her face, letting out a soft sigh, he said, "Fine but that's it. Six months only,"

With that, Agatha, due to ecstasy, wrapped her slender arms around him, her cheek against his chest.

Surprised at her sudden physical contact, Genesis sat idly for a second until his broad arms came returning hers.

And so, for the rest of their journey that night, she can't seem to get her mouth shut which Genesis has no problem with.

In fact, her voice is music to his ears. Genesis just tried not fretting over the reason for her sudden chattiness.

Perhaps, she was trying to entertain him just so the thought of them not making love crossed his mind.

With this new proposition, Genesis doesn't think he could spend the same room with her. He can't get far too near the greatest temptation knowing he can't get the taste of it. For what? For six long months.

"I wou-would happily cook for you, Sir," she happily muttered, a massive smile on her face, her showing appearing.

"I would even wash your clothes, no doubt about that," she added, grinning.

All Genesis could ever reply is a light smile, "hmmm,"

Later that night, the rain blew hard, sending chills to the both of them.

Agatha tightening the blanket over herself, said, "You should stay-stay inside the tent,"

Before he could object, which she's sure he would, she hurriedly grabbed his wrist, dragging him inside the canopy, zipping it up.

That left the two of them staring, all huddled up inside the canopy, before her crimson cheeks could worsen, Agatha swiftly grabbed the book beside her cot.

Alone together inside the tent, no one talking, Agatha pretending to be busy with the battered book she purchased for a cent back in Cedarburg. Genesis meanwhile was pretending to be busy with, well, nothing. He just simply sat there idly.

Truth is, Agatha fears that Genesis noticed how she hasn't turned to the next page for a couple of minutes now for she just can't seem to focus much on her reading, with her heart pounding hard in her chest.

Agatha knew Genesis is not a threat besides, they've been traveling for days now. She'd been sleeping with Genesis all this time, with the tent only separating them.

There's nothing to be afraid of, Agatha assured herself.

With only the kerosene lamp as the source of light, Agatha couldn't help herself from giving him sideways glances.

Admiring his ripped build, his dark complexion, his closely-cropped hair, his week-old facial hair, up-close, she realized he has a slender scar extending from his right temple to his earlobe.

All of a sudden, an urge came upon her, an urge to trace the scar, before she couldn't stop herself, she closed the book.

Perhaps, way too loud since Genesis almost jumped in his seat, his look of bewilderment amusing her, he gave her a confused look afterward.

"I-i'm going to sleep now," she stuttered, blushing. Till now, she can't get in the habit of stuttering out.

Lord knows how much she tried. Oh, how the customers back in the diner in Cedarburg teased her about it.

Genesis doesn't seem to mind, judging from his lack of comment regarding it.

However, perhaps, he's bothered by it but decided not to complain about it since it is what it is. He cannot do anything about it. They're already half-way there. No use in backing out now.

A pang of guilt hit her, she should've told him about her stutters in the letters.