XII.playing assistant

Agatha nibbling her lips, palms balmy as she cast one nervous look at Genesis, wincing at the sight of blood in his hands extending to his bare arms.

Genesis is half-naked, insisting he'll better take the shirt off since he wouldn't want Agatha stressing about the clothes.

"I do-don't mind," Agatha said, eyeing Genesis as he smoothly removed his gray shirt, thus, giving it to her.

Blushing, her eyes downcast, Agatha gripped the shirt to her hand.

Yet truth be told, Agatha couldn't take her eyes off his back for it is filled with angry-looking scars, all long, some even extending from his nape down.

Agatha wondered what happened to him to get such scars like these. However, at the back of her mind, Agatha's no dumb, Genesis was a former slave.

Still, Agatha chose not to notice Genesis' scars.

Crouching, Genesis pet the mother cow, his hands running back and forth.

Agatha, feeling useless, stood in the corner, her eyes wide as the cow wail, Genesis simply continued the comforting strokes, murmuring, "It's okay, it's okay,"

A few minutes later, a baby calf was born, before Agatha knew it, she was crouching beside Genesis, their legs touching, so are their arms.

Awed at such sight, Agatha found herself caressing the newborn calf in Genesis' hands, her lips pressed into a smile.

Genesis did Agatha an honor when he handed the newborn calf to her, grinning, "Could you please be a dear and hold...him for me for a second?"

Agatha nodded, her eyes glued to the newborn calf who was now sucking her thumb. In an instant, before she could stop it, her laughter erupted.

"Don't enjoy yourself too much, kid," Genesis jokingly muttered, grinning at the sight of Agatha laughing her head off.

His attention shifting to the mother cow, worried radiated through Genesis, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Frowning, he absentmindedly stared at the wailing cow, rubbed his bloody hands on his dark denim before saying, "This one's going to die,"

That halted Agatha from smiling over the calf, momentarily stopping rocking over her seat as well, her gaze shifting to Genesis and to the poor old cow, "Wh-why?"

Sighing, "Most cows die at childbirth, you see," shaking his head, he continued petting the still-wailing cow.

Genesis spent half of the day stroking the cow, frowning yet his lips automatically circled whenever his ears picked up the lovely sounds of Agatha's laughter.

Ranch life really suits her just fine. More than he expected.

However, Genesis was taken aback when at his side, he heard her murmuring the words, "You're so cute, George,"

Genesis was torn between rejoicing and laughing and crying, to tell the truth. It's been weeks since he last heard her without the stutters.

Second, she just named the calf. It'll be a hard time raising that calf and putting it to work for he's certain Agatha would be visiting it often, causing the calf to think he's a domestic animal.

Third, "Why George?"

Agatha lifted her head for a moment, her hands still caressing the calf, "I just-just think it's a name that spa-sparks intelligence, sir,"

Grinning, "Sweetheart, it's not like that calf would go around the country and start teaching algebra,"

That alone caused Agatha to chuckle, her lovely dimples appearing, "As you sa-said, only time will tell,"

The marvelous sound of their laughter filled the barn, in the end, they felt guilty over it for there lie a dying cow beside them.

Genesis and Agatha walked side-by-side to the back of the house where Genesis could wash all the blood from his body.

Agatha, meanwhile, said she still needs to get the newly washed blankets over the clothesline.

"Perfect, I'll go walk with you, dear,"

And so, they walked and they walked, laughing over the cuteness of George. Genesis then pleaded with her not to name other animals or else it'll be a challenge selling them.

Genesis stared down at her, him being a head and a half taller than her, his bloody hands on his back, his shirt still on Agatha's hand.

Agatha gazing at the darkening sky, she knew she needed to hurry up getting all the blankets before the rain could catch them.

While Genesis was busy washing himself off, Agatha, with the woven basket at her side, began fetching all the blankets, tiptoeing all the time.

Agatha was surprised when Genesis stood beside her before she could protest, Genesis was gathering all the blankets in his arms thus putting it into the basket.

With his tallness and all, the task is a piece of cake.

"Oh, I co-could do it, sir. Don't tire yourself out please," murmured Agatha, eyeing Genesis as he continued getting the blankets.

Genesis stopped in his tracks, casting a look over her, playfully arching a brow and before she knew it, Genesis' warm hands were wrapped around her waist, lifting her to give her easy access to the clothesline.

Blushing, she hurriedly gathered the blankets and when Genesis set her down on the ground, Agatha couldn't stop herself from looking at him playfully, curving a smile.

"Before I forgot, I told one of the helpers the other day to bring his wife morning at the end of the week,"

When Agatha asked him why, he shrugged, "To keep you company, kiddo,"

Agatha seems uncomfortable at the idea, judging from her furrowed brow, Genesis gently grips her shoulders, "Just give it a try, okay? If you ended up loathing her then so be it, she'll be out of our sight," he said, grinning, as he tipped her chin.

Agatha nodded, replying a grin back, with that, Genesis squeezed her pretty little nose, "That's my girl,"

Again, that caused Agatha to blush.

"Remind me to lower the clothesline, sweetheart," muttered Genesis, baskets filled with blankets in his arms, walking along with Agatha towards the house after getting all the blankets, their stomach aching from laughing all together so much.

Agatha was about to reply when there they saw Devon running towards them, his blond hair unruly, waving his handoff.

"What brought you here, Devon?" Asked Genesis, his arm encircling around Agatha, narrowing his eyes.

Devon seems to notice the sudden touchiness for he, too squinted his eyes, yet commented nothing regarding it.

Instead, he said, "Genesis, do you have a few dollars there?"

Scratching his head, Devon could tell Genesis was about to question him why, "My head has been aching these past few days, I need to buy medicine, pal,"

There was a long pause after that. In the end, Genesis couldn't reject his friend. Sighing, he said, "Come, Agatha and I are finishing up,"

Devon beamed at him, his eyes then shifted to Agatha, bowing, he greeted, "Looking pretty, hun,"

Genesis narrowed his eyes at him but Devon paid no mind. "Tha-thank you, sir," was all Agatha could reply even as she felt Genesis' arm around her shoulder strike.

"My head would surely hurt as well if I kept losing all my money to gambling," stated Genesis that night at supper, when the two of them are alone.

Keep safe, luvs!!