Let Me Take You

Atlanta, Georgia

With fear racing through her body of what could have happened, Lani rushed out of the restaurant to call June. Her phone was dead so she grabbed the closest phone to her, DJ's.

He didn't mind. He knew that she wasn't thinking and just needed to get in contact with her daughter. So he waited for a while before going out to check on her.

"Hey, w-what's the matter?" Lani asked, panicking.

"Calm down Lani, she's fine now. But she had an allergic reaction."

"To what? I told y'all everything she was allergic to." She became upset at their irresponsibleness.

"It's something that you didn't say. Did you know she was allergic to cinnamon?" Patricia asked.

"Cinnamon? Nah...But I am so I never bought it. I didn't know, i'm sorry." She spoke fast.

"It's okay Lani, she's fine now." Patricia continued to assure her.

"Where is she?"

"She's in her hospital room, asleep."

"Okay, i'll catch the next flight down thea." Lani told her just as DJ walked outside.

"No it's fine Lani, honestly."

"No, that's my baby. I'll be down thea as soon as possible." Lani argued.

"Okay," Patricia said defeated, "We'll see you soon then."

"Okay." And with that, Lani hung up and took a deep breath, placing her hand over her heart.

She felt like the worst parent for not knowing all of the things she was allergic to. But she tried to make herself feel better because she really didn't know, so she couldn't fully beat herself up about it. It would be different if she knew and forgot to tell them.

"Hey." DJ said softly, making his presence known.

"Oh, i'm sorry it's just the first one I saw and I needed to talk to my-

"It's cool. I undastand." He stopped her. "Is everything good?"

"Yeah. She's fine. I'll be leaving soon though." Lani handed his phone to him.

"Where?"

"They're in Cali. So i'm bookin the next flight."

"I'll go with you."

Lani looked at him with her eyebrows scrunched up immediately shaking her head no. "No i'm fine. You have business meetings."

"You don't need to be traveling alone." Lani was still shaking her head no.

"At least let me ride with you to the airport." He said not taking no for an answer.

DJ really did worry about Lani's state of mind and it threw him for a world-wind in his own. He never caught himself caring about a woman like this enough to go with her and make sure she was good. It was just something about Lani. She was the type of girl you fought hard to ignore. DJ couldn't ignore her. He didn't want to. Which was extremely not like him. He wasn't the best guy to come across honestly.