We Both Know This

Brooklyn, New York

Sun shined through Lani's apartment window. Her curtains weren't dark enough to block it out, causing DJ to stir in his sleep. He held Lani with his right arm as his left was in his pants. Lani woke up to the sound of her alarm she had set. She quickly turned it off so it wouldn't wake DJ.

She had a lot to do today. Had to drive to New Jersey to meet Mara and Melissa. Today they would be bringing the kids to Coop's gravesite. It was the day before his death date and since Lani wouldn't be there because of a gig, they all agreed to do it today.

Then she had a flight to catch to New Orleans for her and Sulan's first show. They would be opening up for Wayne so Amber booked them up.

Lani brushed her teeth as DJ came to use the bathroom.

"Really?"

"Girl." He flushed and went to wash his hands. He walked out the bathroom and looked through her drawers for some clothes.

He too had a flight to catch. He was headed to Nevada for a birthday bash. The Game had invited him so he was looking forward to having a good time.

"When you gettin back?" He asked her as he started their shower.

"Maybe the 5th. Gon turn it into a lil girls trip." Lani pinned her hair up.

"And Jersi gonna be with her folks nem the whole time?" They both got in to wash their body.

"Yeah. She supposed to be bonding with her brother." She rolled her eyes.

"Don't do that." He laughed.

"I can't help it though. Like Melissa really need ha ass beat for that shit but i'm tryna work on not being mean as hell to her. She be tryna be friends and shit like girl."

"Don't fight ha. It's too late to fight ha. You ready for yo first show?" He smiled.

"Yes." She turned around and pouted. "Wish you could see it tho."

"Amber got me covered." He smirked.

"Mhmm." She puckered her lips for a kiss then got out to get Jersi's bag ready. Lani had already packed her suitcase. She was ready to catch her flight.

•••

"Grandma Mara!" Jersi screamed as she opened the front door. Melissa and Cj were already here. Lani walked into the house with Jersi's bag shortly after.

"Hi Mara." Lani hugged her.

"Hey sweetheart. Let me grab my purse and we can head out. I know you have a flight to catch." Lani nodded and sat down on the couch.

Melissa cane from the bathroom and sat down. "Hey." She mumbled.

"Hey. Where's Cj?"

"Oh he's out back with Killa." Lani nodded. "Where's Jersi?"

"She's like Mara's little shadow." She laughed.

They sat in silence, minding their business until Mara came back down. Melissa had learned her lesson for trying to start conversation about things other than the kids. She admitted to herself that Lani was right.

•••

New Jersey
Lani