Blood and Blades

Thursday, September 11th 2009

"Gee! Put that down!"

Gerard looked up at me with a straight face. He wasn't crying, he just looked dead.

"What do y-you want." He said.

I pulled him to his feet and snatched the razor blade from him.

"What the fuck Gerard?!"
"I told you not to call m-me that! Why should you care w-what i'm doing anyway? Oh thats right, y-you don't, y-you're b-being nice to me so you can g-go to some dance."
"Gee its not."
"WELL FUCKING TELL ME THEN!"

Wow. That was the first time i heard him swear, or shout, or say a single sentence with out stuttering for that matter.

"I feel really guilty about what i said to you."
"About m-me?"
"What?"
"I heard you tell s-someone you wouldn't d-date me even if i was a girl. Y-you said you c-couldn't stand m-my stupid, s-stuttery, whiny voice. I u-understand you d-don't want to d-date m-me, but i don't l-like how y-you're pretending to be my friend. You t-think i wanted to h-have a s-stutter or a p-pathetic, whiny v-voice?"

I completely ignored him. I grabbed his arm and looked at the scars that were bleeding and covering him in blood.

"Get off me. D-Do you think im not t-tired of people t- telling me to act like my gender and stop w-wearing skirts?"
"You suit them. Gee i'm really sorry."

I was so glad Gerard accepted my apology. I took him to the nurses office for his cuts.

"Frank i d-don't want to go, they'll c-call my parents a-and i'll get into trouble. O-Only Mikey knows i do this."
"They'll get infected and you'll get sick."
"So?"
I shook my head, "Just do it Gee."

More blood was dripping onto Gerards skirt.
"Okay, fine."

I held Gerards hand while we entered the nurses office.
"Ah, hello boys, are you feeling okay?" The nurse said with a cheery smile.
"Go on Gee, tell her."
"I...I cut m-myself and F-Frank wanted m-me to come here."
"Oh dear, okay. I'll get you cleaned up."

10 minutes later

Gerard emerged from the nurses office with his arms wrapped in bandages.
"I'm okay now." He smiled weakly.
He dusted off his skirt and held my hand.

"I u-understand you don't l-like me Frank, i-in that way. Thats f-fine. I want to stay f-friends though, would you?"
"Gerard-"
"It's Gee."
"Sorry Gee. I've been thinking about my answer to your..."
"Me asking y-you on a date? But w-why Frank? No one ever r-rethinks going on a d-date with me, im so weird. I'm a b-boy who wears skirts and d-dresses!"
"I know, but i think its really cute."
"Why though? Tell m-me why."

I took a deep breath.
"I love your bravery to wear pink and yellow shirts, you're so confident to go out in public wearing skirts and dressing like a girl. I think you're so beautiful and handsome. I get so nervous when you talk to me. I get so many butterflies when i see you. Why don't you see why i really love you?"
"Love m-me? H-How could s-someone like you l-love me?"
"I just told you. You're beautiful."

"Frank...don't lie to me. P-Please don't lie."

"I'm not."

————————————————————————

503 words