A Year Later...

"Hey Gee." I whispered, sitting on the cold, wet grass.

What was i expecting? Was i expecting for him to speak?

"Its been so lonely without you."

I rested my head against the gravestone. I read the text on the stone.

Gone, but never forgotten,
Gerard Arthur Iero-Way.

A loving father, husband, son, brother and hero to everyone.

Born 9th of April 1984
Died 18th of September 2008
Taken from us aged 39

May your soul rest easy, Cancer soldier.

"Its been really weird you know? I don't really believe in ghosts or the paranormal, but i swear you're watching me. I hope so. I miss you so much. Bandits first birthday just passed. Were you there?"

I felt something, someone touch my shoulder. It startled me.

"Was that you? The house is so empty. I haven't touched your cancer stuff since the funeral, i can't bring myself to move it somewhere. Everyday its a constant reminder that you're gone."

I felt that touch trail down my back, just like he used to do when i was upset. He'd hold my waist, stroking my hip.

"I'm really glad you're not in pain anymore. I miss you like crazy, but you're not waking up in agony anymore. Thats good. I couldn't watch it. It fucking killed me to watch you suffer. Its a shame though. I wanted to spend my life with you, but your life had other plans."

I pulled a photograph out of my pocket.

"Do you remember this? It seems like so long ago

"Do you remember this? It seems like so long ago. Can you show me that you're here? Can you show me that you're listening to me? I don't know how you would. Uhm, touch my cheek if you're listening to me, if you're really with me."

I felt a cold air brush against my cheek. I put
my hand to my cheek as tears started to form.

"I miss you Gerard. I miss you so fucking much. I'll see you again one day, right? I'll see you when i die, won't i?"

Night was falling. It sickened me to know that he was under me. Under the ground.

"Am i crazy? Am i talking to myself or are you really there? Show me a sign. Show me a fucking sign Gee. Let something good happen to me for once. Everything has gone to shit since you died. You know, i remember the first time you were diagnosed, i remember the dau you told me. I knew for a fact you could do it, and you did. And then the second time, i remember driving to the hospital, feeling everything all over again. You looked so much sicker than the first time. When you were 17 you could get out of bed, sing without hurting your chest and even play your violin. This time, it'd be a great day if you had enough strength to get out of bed. I still had faith in you, but you couldn't do it."