Talent yet Broken

Gerard had finally told the heartbreaking truth about his terminal illnesses. He seemed more relieved and less tense now. I gave him space so he could have a break from his busy life with school piled up with his doctors, his pills and his strict conditions on most things. I left him for a week, but i really started to miss him, so i decided to visit him.

I knocked on the door. His younger brother Mikey answered with a cheery smile.
"Is Gerard in?"
"Wait. You didn't hear?"
"About what?"
"A few days ago he had serious difficulties breathing and was rushed into hospital. He's still there. He's fine now he just needs to stay there."
"Oh...thanks."

Wow. Was not expecting that this early in the morning. I quickly ran to my shitty car and sped to the hospital.

I burst through the doors. I ran to the desk to find out where he was. I was told Childrens ward 2.

I ran the whole way. I held some roses for him in my hand tightly, squeezing them until i caught my breath. I looked through the window. He wasn't there.

I pulled out my phone and called him.

"Hey, Mikey told me you're in hospital."
"Yeah. W-why? Whats up?"
"Im here, im outside your room."
"I'm in the c-childrens room. One f-floor down, turn left and g-go towards t-the butterflies on the ceiling. F-follow that corridor, you'll s-see a green room. Just come i-in."
"Okay. I'll be there in a second."

I hung up the phone, left the flowers on his bed and followed his directions.

I came to the corridor he was talking about. The whole corridor was filled with sweet violin music and singing. A mix of someone who sounded similar to Gerard and a group of children.

I approached the door and knocked on. I was greeted my Gerards usual, warm smile. It wasn't a nice thing to see though. In his hospital gown and wheeling a small IV, in which he was connected to by his hand.

"Oh thank god you're okay." I sighed, leeting Gerard cuddle me.
"Yeah. I'm f-fine. How are y-you?"
"A little breathless, but okay."
"Here sit n-next to me."

He pulled up a small plastic chair next to a chair with a violin sat on it.

"These is the c-children on the b-butterfly wing, terminally i-ill children, l-like me. The nurses l-let me play the violin t-to them whenever im h-here."

"That was you?" I gasped.

That violin music i heard was Gerard. Howww was he that good?

"Yeah! Gee is the best!" One little girl chirped up.
"Not r-really."

Gerard picked up his violin and started playing the most beautiful version of Amazing Grace that i had ever had the fortune to hear. His singing was perfect too, not a single stutter.

"Ah, i shouldve know it Mr Way. You need to be giving your lungs a rest, sugar. You'll overwork them and trust me hun, you won't even speak again." A nurse said, entering the room, "Oh, is this famous Frank Iero? Mr Ways best love?"
"Yeah, i am."
"Mr Way is not stop talking about you, he always talks about how sweet and caring you are. Mr Way, that's enough singing for today, come on, we need to make sure you're not putting any strain on that heart. You coming Mr Iero?"
"Sure."
"Alrighty, do you want to push Gerards chair?"

No matter how much i loved Gee, i didn't like to think about him in a hospital. It honestly scared me.

"I...uhhh....I left my...car engine on..i'll see you later Gee."
"Frankie, i k-know you don't like i-it when i'm in a d-doctors office or h-hospital, but don't leave m-me."

I looked at Gerard who was being hooked up to other things on his wheelchair.

"Mr Iero, may i speak to you outside?"
I stepped outside of the room with the nurse.
"Mr Way hasn't been to one of these 'emergency appointments' and been this happy. He's happy because of you. He dosent like doctors or hospitals and i think you knew that. Don't walk away from him now. You don't know the half of what's happening in his life. It is his choice wether he tells you the full picture, but all i want to say is, don't walk away from him if you love him."
"The full picture?"
"We know that he is not as healthy as he should be. Gerard knows what's wrong, but i'm not going to tell you, its up to him wether you know or not. Are you going to stay with Gerard today?"
"I feel so guilty for trying to get away from him. Yeah, i'll stay."

I smiled and walked back in. Gerard was now asleep in his chair.

"Oh dear, someone was a bit tired. Are you going to push him?"

I hesitated before gripping the wheelchairs handles.
"Yeah."
I brushed his hair with my fingers and followed the nurse.

I wasnt gonna lie, i was scared that i'd hurt him. He seemed so peaceful in a scary place. I don't know how he was staying so calm, sleeping like a baby boy. He looked so precious.

Gerards blanket was slipping down so i pulled it back up, accidentally nudging Gee, waking him up.
"Huh? What? F-frankie? I thought y-you left."
"I couldn't leave you."

We arrived back in Gerards room. He admired the bouquet of roses i left on his bed and put them in a clear vase. He got back in bed and curled into a ball.

"I'll be back in a moment Mr Way." The nurse said after taking Gerards temperature.

"Gee?"
"Yeah."
"The nurse said something about, your health being way off track, and you knew what was going on. So what is going on?"

"I....Don't w-want to talk a-about it."
"You can tell me anything Gee."
"Okay."

He took a deep breath.

"I have cancer."

————————————————————————

1027 words