Proposal

(Gerard and Frank are 20 years old here)

I took Gerard to a lovely restaurant. I loved this man witg all my heart, and i could never leave him after everything we went through together. I had to spend the rest of my life with him, he is so brave that he took cancer head on and kicked its ass.

"The food here looks amazing. What are you getting then?" I smiled.
"I'm not sure."

My pocket contained a small box, and that box contained a ring. I had to pop the question tonight. I loved that man, more than anyone in the whole fucking world.

My stomach was filled with butterflies. He looked so...at peace...carefully reading the menu. Nothing was bothering him anymore, nothing like the shit that would bother him 24/7, just a few years ago. When he was in pure agony. Chemo. Radio. Bruising. Leukaemia. I still felt sick when i thought about what shit he'd been through. He seemed so calm and happy now, but this time 3 years ago he'd be sleeping because of the strength of the painkillers, crying into his pillow or screaming in pure agony, and as the cancer grew, became more dominant over him, he died a little bit more. It was a miracle he survived, as the doctors admitted he was on the verge of death. I couldn't imagine what i would've done if Gerard hadn't pulled through, if he did die. I couldn't imagine life without him, his positivity when everything is going wrong, and even when he's dying, he kept hope and a smile on his face. I remember that day, the nurse gave him the all clear. We went home. Gerard was the happiest i had ever seen him. Big smiles, hugs and kisses. We did everything i told him we would. I took him to my home, we got into bed and cuddled. I told him how proud i was, just like i said would.

"Yeah, i'm ready to order." He said, breaking my train of thought and bringing me back to the present.
"Okay."
"Whats the matter? You look distracted."
"It's nothing, i was just thinking."
"Frank come on. I know when something is bothering you. Tell me."

I hesitated.
"I don't know. I was just thinking of when you were sick."
"What? Why? That was years ago."
"I know, it's just...forget it...it's hard to explain. You won't get it."
"Yes i will. Just remember i was going through it. I was the one who was sick."
"No its more about...how you made everyone feel. How scared everyone was, yet you never understood that. Forget it."
"Sorry."

I sighed. I don't understand why i can't stop thinking about it. It was a major event in Gerards life, but the worst is over now. I should put his cancer behind us now, but i keep bringing it back. Gerard seemed to have moved on very quickly, but i suppose he'd want to forget that as quick as he could.

"Frank do you want to go? You look really tired."
"I...well lets at least go for a drive. Its a really beautiful night."
"Okay, come on babe. I'll drive."

Gerard got in the drivers seat. I stared out the window while Gerard sung along loudly to music.
"Frankie come on and sing!"
"I don't feel like it."
"Stop thinking about it boo. It's in the past now, you don't need to think about it anymore, its for me to worry about, and im not worrying at all."
"At all?"
"I mean, a little bit, only if it were to ever come back, i doubt it will though."
Gerard reached out and put his hand on my knee.
"Don't be worried about it anymore babe. I'm okay now."
"I know you are. I just can't help but still be worried."

The night was falling.
"Oh Frankie, theres supposed to be a firework display tonight, you wanna go?"
Yes! The perfect time to propose, to tell Gerard i want to spend the rest of my life with him.
"Oh, sure, why not."

We sat down on the grass together. We watched the smaller fireworks go off before the bigger ones. Gerard lay down on me. I rested my hands on his stomach.

"Gerard, can you move for a second?"
"Oh, yeah, why?"
"I need to do something."
He scooted off of me. I sat up and pulled the box out.
"Stand up babe." I smiled.
We both stood up. I got down on one knee. This was it.

"Gerard... we've been through so much stuff together and i can't let that all go away. I love you more than anyone in the world. You mean everything to me. I couldn't stop thinking about the...cancer...because i want to spend my life with you and...i dont think i could ever watch you go through that again. Gerard, i thought i'd never date a dude in my life, but now i couldn't imagine not. Gerard Arthur Way, will you marry me?"

My hands were sweating. His eyes widened and flooded with tears.
"Oh my fucking god Frank, yes! Of course i will!"
I took his hand and slipped the ring on his finger, and then kissed him passionately. The people around us were clapping and cheering while we stood there in each others embrace.

"I love you Gerard."
"I love you too Frank."