Gerard Arthur Way

"Gee why didn't you think about telling me?"

"Its w-what my mom would do."

"YOUR MOM DOSENT KNOW?!"
"No."

I was shocked, to say the least.

"How dosent she know?"

"My mom..never really cared about me that much, more s-since my "girls clothes phase", she...always used to hurt me, sometimes purposely not feed me, and never really cared about me. Its my social w-worker who takes me to all of m-my appointments. She d-dosent have to tell my mom anything, b-because shes thinking of taking m-me in as her own."

"As in adopting?"

"Yes. M-me and Mikey."

"Well thats good isnt it?"

"No. My m-mom could still say no."

"I thought social workers could just take a child if they were in a bad home."

"Yeah, t-thats usually the case, but im 17, if my s-social worker wants me and Mikey then it has to be a-an official adoption."

"So...do you remember when Principal Blaze called our parents in because she thought i hit you?"

"Yeah?"

"Who were the people who you called your mom and dad?"

"My social w-worker, i said she was my m-mom and the man was her husband. They kinda act as m-my parents."

"So where is your social worker?"

Gerard shrugged his shoulders.

"No idea."

"So...you have cancer?"

He nodded, "leukaemia, t-to be exact."

My heart dropped. It seemed like...I didn't even know. I never thought this would happen. My boyfriend has cancer and has been told that he won't survive to his 25th birthday. Life was so unfair for him.

"They can cure it?"

"I have had some treatments but...my life expectancy, is l-less than a year now. The treatment d-didn't work for m-me. But if there is another o-opening, they're going t-to try one more time."

I couldn't believe what i was hearing. So now he has less than a year?! He'll turn 18 but die after a few months. Now things were really unfair.

Gerard looked unphased by everything. He was still bright and happy and smiling.

"How are you so happy?"

"Ive d-done what i thought id n-never do. I managed t-to date someone before i died. Thats all i wanted. Ive d-done the one thing i've wanted to do, so i'm fine and content if i die."

"But Gee-"

"Its a life e-expectancy Frankie, its not definitely t-that im going to die."

I couldn't believe how calm he was. He was always calm about his health, but i never thought he'd be so...calm with cancer.

"Frankie, theres n-no need to cry."

He pulled me next to him and stroked my head. I was more emotional than Gerard, and i couldn't understand why. He knows hes going to die, but he's fine. I was crying hysterically. I didn't want Gerard to leave me. I can't imagine him not being here. His positivity even though hes so sick and different, his constant warm smile and loving personality. I hadn't considered spending my life with him, but knowing he's going to die, i can't imagine not living with him.