8 - Replay that

If Aidan didn't have sisters, Marissa's constant presence in his apartment might annoy him. He tried to tell her to count him out when she announced her dinner party. Even Jed asked why she was having one.

She replied adamantly, "For real conversation, bars and restaurants are too loud."

She had a point, but he still wasn't keen. First, he would need a date.

"Who's cooking?"

"Me. I can cook." Marissa insisted.

"Why aren't you cooking for me?" Jed asked.

"I will, baby." She cooed and kissed him.

"God, enough! No one wants to eat dinner with you two doing that."

Marissa laughed. "We'll keep it small. Just Mark and his girl. You can find a date, right? Of course, you can. Oh and Sage, because I really want to meet her guy."

Aidan felt things after her last remark and hated it. First, there was an excitement at the mention of the name, Sage, but then a tightening in his gut over the guy. He was a little curious to see what was so special about him.

"I thought her guy split in the middle of the night."

"Oh, they worked it out."

The roll of her eyes indicated she didn't think much of her friend's choice in a relationship. Maybe he should wait for her to wake up. Except he forgot he wasn't in her social class, so he would have to keep dreaming.

Why did Marissa think he could conjure up a date so easily? There was an assistant at work, who laughed at everything he said. She was pretty, but it would invite complications. His best option was Liliana. She was a student at NYC, and although she was four years younger, she acted sophisticated. Lili was like another little sister to him, so there would be no expectations. She owed him, because he had helped her get rid of a classmate who had a crush on her. They were comfortable enough with each other to appear to be a couple when together.

Aidan suspected Rachel would like nothing more than to see the two of them as a couple. She felt just like a sister to him, so kissing Lili would be as gross as kissing Mia or Brenna.

Marissa was bouncing around the day of the dinner. The girl had too much energy as she put her arm around him. "I can't wait to meet your date."

He resisted the urge to tell her Lili was like a cousin to him. Even his friends didn't know about Lili, because he never trusted them. Now they had girlfriends, so she would be safe around them. They weren't bad but were guys and horny by nature. Given the opportunity, he would like to run his hand down the curve at Sage's waist, but that didn't make him a pig.

When he returned from picking up Lili, Mark and his date had already arrived. He had made a good choice with Lili. As he introduced her, she was pleasant, and Marissa was smiling, so she approved.

Mark's date didn't fit her name, Belle, since she was plain. Her expensive clothing made up for her looks. She oozed wealth.

Aidan smiled when he heard Mark who answered Belle's question about the other guests. Mark said, "A girl I once dated."

Aidan held his tongue, but he wanted to call him out. He wanted to ask Belle, if Mark was a good kisser. Maybe Mark was fine and Sage was super critical. He'd never know, because he would never kiss Mark. Like magic, he was thinking of her and she appeared.

She wore a navy dress that had a plunging neckline and a tie at the waist. If her dress was untied it would open like a bathrobe. Wishing he actually had magic powers, he would channel them into opening her dress. Who was he kidding? He would concoct a love potion, so she'd fall in love with him.

He took his time appreciating how amazing she looked in her dress which brought out the blue of her eyes. 'Something came up' was a lame excuse, but he felt a sliver of hope. She was alone.

Lili whispered. "She's pretty."

He nodded. "Nice girl. I'll introduce you."

He guided Lili toward Sage with a light grasp on her elbow. Sage smiled at them, as he introduced Lili. "How long have you and green eyes been dating?"

Lili laughed. She was probably instantly planning to tell his sisters about his nickname. Aidan answered, "We've known each other for years."

Lili slipped her arms around his waist and hugged him. "I love this man." He knew she didn't mean love like in love. He kissed the top of his head. "We spent many summer days together at the beach on The Cape."

Sage looked excited as she asked Lili where.

"Onset."

Sage looked straight at Aidan. "You know that's not The Cape."

He smiled. "I've been told a time or two." He lowered his voice. "Look who has a girlfriend." His head slanted slightly towards Mark.

Sage smiled. "Good for him. She's wearing a designer dress that costs a fortune."

Again, it reminded Aidan of the social classes. "They both have vast fortunes."

Sage shrugged, as if it were no big deal. Lili was talking to Marissa who was probably grilling her.

"So I hear, you're still happy with the guy who snuck out."

Sage frowned, but she had asked his advice. "He isn't a fan of sleepovers."

Her statement sounded nonchalant, although it was anything but. The guy had to have a bigger reason and was probably a player. Aidan's new plan was to be there when the guy broke her heart to help mend in.

Before he could reply, she added, "So Lili is cute. Shouldn't she be home studying for midterms?"

He recognized she was teasing him. "I wonder what your guy's friends would say about you. Probably that you're the age of the babysitter they hire to watch their kids."

He saw pink creep into her checks and was about to apologize until she laughed. "Oh God, you're right. But just between you and me." She whispered. "I have my own Lili. I can always call on Teddy if I'm desperate for a date."

She saw right through him. Instead of being embarrassed, it amused him. "Maybe we should introduce Lili to Teddy."

"Oh no! There's probably eight years between them!"

"Replay that in your head." He hid his laugh with a smirk.

Her mouth formed an 'oh' but didn't respond, because Marissa announced it was time to take their seats at the table.

If you like please vote ⭐️