21 - Dr. Sutton

When Geoff told Aidan she would introduce him at dinner, Aidan's body slumped.

Immediately, Sage said, "Come upstairs. We'll explain."

Sage hadn't really been angry with Aidan, but Geoff was jealous. It was the fourth night he visited — never had he come over so often.

Aidan stood in one corner of the elevator and Geoff in the other. Sage watched, as they glared at each other's reflection in the shiny metallic finish of the doors. She was in the middle, but her actions put her there.

Once inside her apartment, Aidan said, "I guess you don't need me for dinner, if you're introducing him."

"No, I do. Geoff's not going as my boyfriend." That term did not fit their relationship. "He's going as my boss."

"Why is your boss having dinner with your parents?"

"Because my advisor told me about a project which needs funding and I'm hoping my father will consider it."

"But your advisor is at the university not the museum."

She wasn't doing a good job explaining. Taking a deep breath, she continued. "It's an archeology dig and Geoff has visited it. Dr. Brownstein suggested him, because he's familiar with it."

Geoff, who stood by quietly said, "I've visited and much of what they find will eventually come to the museum."

"So nothing has changed with my parents since last weekend. They still love you."

Aidan finally showed a hint of a smile. Sage felt tension leave her body. She had put him off on Tuesday to gather her thoughts. By Wednesday, Dr. Brownstein's request made everything complicated. She hadn't expected Geoff for another evening.

As much as she wanted to talk to Aidan, she didn't. Ever since he dropped the bomb on Geoff and left, she had been considering if Geoff was right about Aidan. Her friend had always been a perfect gentleman, even if he liked her more than she realized.

Aidan looked at Geoff. "So at dinner, she's my date and you can't glare at me."

"You both have to be polite and civil to each other."

"Have we met before? What do I call him?"

"You'll call him Dr. Sutton just as I will. You don't have to be strangers."

"Where are we meeting?" Aidan asked.

"Here at seven. You and I will arrive together."

Sage was glad Aidan would be with her. He was so good at grounding her when she felt nervous and dinner would be one of those times.

As soon as Aidan left, Geoff said, "You can deny it, but he wants you."

"He could have made a move last weekend."

They had been disagreeing about Aidan all week and she was tired of it. One thing she had learned was when Geoff referred to wanting, he meant in bed. She'd bet her allowance it was only one thing Aidan wanted from her. She couldn't think about Aidan, as Geoff began to show her how much he wanted her.

On Friday morning, when she stepped off the elevator, Aidan was waiting for her.

"Are you stalking me?"

He put his three finger's up in a Boy Scout salute. "Yes, but I'm harmless."

"Tell me you weren't..." Her laughter kept her from completing.

"I was for two or three years. I was too cool after that."

"I'm sure." She had difficulty controlling her laughter, little Aidan, Boy Scout.