10 - Brooding

When Aidan arrived at Rachel's on Saturday afternoon, she nearly accosted him at her door.

"You've already met Sage?" The older woman looked more excited than a kid on Christmas morning.

"Her best friend is dating Jed. Liliana told me she lives in this building." He tried to sound neutral. If his Godmother sensed he liked her, she'd meddle to the point of embarrassment. "Don't get any ideas! She's involved with someone and I am out of her league."

"What league?"

"Class, social standing. I've been told her father is in shipping or something."

"She doesn't act like she's wealthy. Obviously, her job at the museum isn't paying her rent. Now as for her involvement, I've seen the man."

"Have you?" Aidan was obviously curious.

"Very handsome and sexy but brooding. I have to ask myself what he's doing with her besides the obvious."

"Aunt Rachel!" Aidan feigned shock.

"Stop! I'm not stupid. I know what you were doing when you and that girl walked to the beach at night or down the path to the bog. The mosquito bites alone gave you away."

His face was red. He felt like when his mother found his sister's Victoria Secrets' catalog in his room. He had sex for the first time with his summer girlfriend, Kayla by the cranberry bog. He had bites including some on his buttocks.

Feeling bold, he said, "Now we've reminisced about the loss of my innocence, let's play."

He picked up the deck and shuffled as Rachel choked on her drink.

"You okay?" Nonchalantly pretending his remark hadn't caused her sip to go down wrong.

Recovering. "Fine. Perfectly fine. Now run upstairs to 14B and invite the girl to join us for dinner."

"Are you serious?"

"I said it. Didn't I?"

He sighed. "She likes games and came close to beating me."

"All the more reason! Now scoot."

Aidan tried to sound less than thrilled, but he was secretly elated to have a reason to knock on her door. The guy might be there, in which case he'd invite them both. She might be out with him, although Marissa was miffed, because he had never taken her out. He would bet money on the guy being married. His fist clenched, as he entered the stairwell. Still, she could be out with friends, or visiting her parents.

It shocked her to see him at her door. She hadn't realized he knew Rachel. Her apartment confirmed her wealth. There probably wasn't a single item from Ikea. She looked as if she was busy working and he had the urge to ask her about it. Instead, he completed his mission without extra digression. When she agreed, he felt a thump in his heart.

They didn't play gin while they waited for her. Rachel made him cut up vegetables for the salad which was what he was busy doing when she arrived with a bottle of wine. She must buy them by the case.

She eyed him. "Can you cook?"

"No, that's why I have sisters."

"Mia bakes." Rachel volunteers.

Aidan finished. "The best cookies ever."

"Bring some my way the next time she stops by."

Aidan and Rachel laughed. Realizing they were rude, he said, "Sorry. Unfortunately, the thought of stopping by when she's at least two hundred miles away is oddly comical."